Is SC&P worth it?

Is it worth it

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Is it worth the space on the board, does it achieve anything anymore, is it worth the admin resource.

I have learnt a great deal from the section in the past but often, it seems at some cost. However, more recently it feels as if the patterns of the section are repeating more frequently and that less is actually being discussed..or learnt.

New posters are frightened off, leaving the same members (me included) repeating the same views, to the same audience...with inevitable results.

The pattern that I see more often now is along the lines of.

Op, posts a question or view
Responces are given, some of which are provocative, some not and some just down right rude.
Posters assume a position and refuse to budge an inch for fear of looking as if they have made a mistake, are misinformed or made to look daft.
This repeats for a while untill tempers flare and the thread is locked...or removed.

So what has that achieved. More importantly, to those just gaining sufficient privileges to see the section for the first time...how does it make the site look.

The pattern above is now becoming so common that threads sometimes become locked within the first few pages of discussion, often with insults flying in the very first reply.

Claims that the thread attracts passionate discussion from intelligent folk , seem hollow to me because if we have true passion and intellect, surely we would also have the capacity to see the futility of allowing that pattern to continue.

I believe that enemy's are made in one topic...that the blinkers then come down and the myopia is carried across through other threads, I also wonder if the increased aggression and level of insults is ever used to deliberately close a thread to remove an opinion, topic or mistake.

I want sc&p to work but to do so it needs to attract far more varied input, from a more varied membership

So is it all worth it to you?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Dunno, never bother with it.

My dearie God some people take a free website very seriously.

Who cares? Use it. Don't. Read it. Ignore it. Post on it. Quote it. Recite it naked whilst eating prawn cocktail crisps.

Who flippin cares? This site is free. Use as much of it as you want.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Of course it's worth it, and it's a sight more interesting than most of Café. If you don't like it, don't go there.
(I think Diddums might refer to mods who have to do some ... moderating occasionally. Again, if it's too onerous, don't volunteer.)
Modding is actually a farking thankless task, broken only by helpful comments like this. And yes, the kindergarten generated at least 75% of the work. I'd scrap it tomorrow, and if that resulted in a mass enflouncement from those who only post there, I believe I could live with that.
Thankfully, I'm not a Mod these days, so it's not my decision. Or my problem.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It keeps some of the bickering off the main site, so it works for me.

I pop in occasionally to see what is going on, I try to ignore the petty squabbles, I read the two or more sides to each argument and then I decide I am somewhere in the middle and that everyone else is a moron and move to to something important like the helmet thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom