Is there such a beast as a folding Road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For the record, my Speed Pro like Burghley's is Cro-Mo - somewhat thankful for this after some issues with the latch system which caused a bit of "banging" descending a mountain - aluminium may not have stood up to this. Frame still seems OK. Same 3-speed SRAM rear hub but only 7 dereilleur speeds so 21 in total - this means that I run out pf pedalling at about 40 or 45KPH (usually going downhill I stress!) but for my sort of riding I don't find this a problem - not racing anyone. I prefer the cheapness and toughness of 7 speed bits - seem readily available despite what some folks tell you.

Great fun as I've said many times but no way would I buy one of the new Terns even if I could afford it. I feel, particularly with that pricing, they are heading for a product dead-end - a bike with little real purpose.

Am I the only one with rear-spoke issues? I'm forever fiddling with them.

I liked Stuaff's description of the "interesting" aspects of ownership to do with design, distribution and spare parts. Quite a list!

As I said, great fun, but my oh my

schocca

I've fitted drops + 700c wheels to a Dahon Jack/Espresso frame - No problems. I'm using this in London on sunny days...

The nice thing about this frame is that all the fitting points are standard, only the folding hinge is specific to Dahon... so minimal risk in my opinion for spares. My other bike is a Dahon Jack which I've used for over a year now, so I'm used to the frame and size.

Not sure if these pic links will work (here goes):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77981342@N02/6999778160/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77981342@N02/7145844537/in/photostream/
photostream

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I've fitted drops + 700c wheels to a Dahon Jack/Espresso frame - No problems. I'm using this in London on sunny days...

The nice thing about this frame is that all the fitting points are standard, only the folding hinge is specific to Dahon... so minimal risk in my opinion for spares. My other bike is a Dahon Jack which I've used for over a year now, so I'm used to the frame and size.

Not sure if these pic links will work (here goes):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77981342@N02/6999778160/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77981342@N02/7145844537/in/photostream/

Nice conversion - it seems you have implemented what I suggested as possible in post 13 of this thread!

Questions: 1) Did you have to use long drop brakes? 2) Since it seems they are standard factory road wheels how did you handle the road hub width (130mm) vs rear dropout distance (135mm*) difference? 3) Is the Espresso frame smaller than your Jack's given the significantly extended reach of drop vs flat bars?

Welcome to the forum BTW!! :welcome:

* that is the case for my Jack, but it might be different to yours due to difference in vintage

schocca

Nice conversion - it seems you have implemented what I suggested as possible in post 13 of this thread!

Questions: 1) Did you have to use long drop brakes? 2) Since it seems they are standard factory road wheels how did you handle the road hub width (130mm) vs rear dropout distance (135mm*) difference? 3) Is the Espresso frame smaller than your Jack's given the significantly extended reach of drop vs flat bars?

Welcome to the forum BTW!! :welcome:

* that is the case for my Jack, but it might be different to yours due to difference in vintage

Ha, yes you definitely did mention the idea before I bought the Espresso frame. Ok, some background... before Xmas, I saw cheap Espresso and Jack frames on Ebay - considering the Tern/Dahon issues in play, I thought it wise to buy a spare frame for my Jack (which is an excellent bike BTW) in case the worst happens.

So now I'm tripping over the frame whenever I go into the garage and I'm thinking - can I make a road bike out of this? 4 months later and a load of bike bits are sitting in the house ready to be built up.

The frame
I like the Espresso frame over the jack as it's just laquered alu, I have a 2004 Dahon Presto Lite in the same style and recognised that scuffs are less visible with the bare frame colour. The Jack has this matt black colour, which easily scuffs. As it's Alu, it's pretty light (I'll mention the final bike weight later on in the post).

The kit
To answer some q's:
1) Brakes - I do have long drops on the rear (front brake long drops with the long bolt). The front forks are carbon road forks, so long drops not needed for the front callipers.
2) It has 700c Shimano Road wheels (cheap from Ebay) - 130mm. The frame is 135 dropout, but it easily compresses to 130mm with the QR sqrs. To be honest, the frame seems to sit without the wheel with a 133 dropout distance - so either way - running at 135 would push it out and 130 would compress. Me and the LBS seem to agree that this seems to work ok.
3) The frame is the same medium frame size as my Jack - no problems with reach on the drops (but I am using FSA compact bars).

I've got a cheapish 2012 Tiagra groupset that I sourced from Ebay, long drop brakes for the rear, SDG seatpost and I'm reusing my Dahon SDG saddle from my Presto Lite to maintain the budget. The pedals are detachable MKS Promenade's with PowerGrips - but I may swap these over to clips later on...

As the frame is a MTB frame the front derailleur needs to be a top pull unit, so purchased a Shimano Cyclocross CX60 FD (which is compatible with the Tiagra groupset).

Weight
- With the finished bike, the weight comes in around 10.2Kg. It can go lighter with different components, but I wanted sturdy components and to see how it rode first (i.e. minimal use of carbon). As a comparison, my Jack with commuter bits weighs in around 14.5Kg, so the weight difference is noticeable.

Ride
- It's definitely comfortable - much better than a road bike I owned in the nineties. I suspect that the carbon forks and the hinged frame design have an effect here. It also seems to accelerate faster and need less effort to keep moving than my Jack. From this project, I'm now thinking about changing the wheels on my Jack to a lighter 26" wheelset.

Folding
I've fitted the Espresso/Jack bottom bracket stand for sitting the bike when it's folded. Which means it can sit in the garage or train without damaging the big chainring. Additionally, it seems to sit neatly without falling over.

mm- that X10.

"low spoke count wheels" eh - I fear that ex-Mrs Dahon and son may be continuing Mr Dahon's fondness for too clever stuff - almost a minute into that video he seems to be heading in an oh-so-cool NY way for a kerb - I wouldn't try that on anything with a lightweight Dahon heritage.

Interesting that the film cuts at that point :smile:

schocca

I've busted multiple spokes on my Presto Lite over the years - and no jumping off the curbs for me (although London roads are rough enough as it is...). It's one of the reasons why I switched to the 26" folding Jack. Considering that I've just got my "road bike" folder down to 10.2Kg - It should be straightforward to lower the weight of the Jack by 2-3Kgs by selective component choice and quality carbon forks...

The issue with weight is the tradeoff against longevity of the components. Running the Presto Lite for several years brought this home to me - yes it's fantastically light (sub 10Kg), but the tradeoff was in the tyre life, spoke breakages and the overall concerns that it would one day go "nasty" on me (i.e. major component fail mid-ride). The folding handbar post was my biggest concern - but this did hold up well and I was hanging a rucksack (with laptop) off the front of the handlebars for several years without issue.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Considering that I've just got my "road bike" folder down to 10.2Kg - It should be straightforward to lower the weight of the Jack by 2-3Kgs by selective component choice and quality carbon forks...

The issue with weight is the tradeoff against longevity of the components.

I have been able to lighten my Jack in Large (originally just over 13kg) to just over 10kg without switching out the original steel forks by putting on a pair of Crossmax/Kojak Folding 26x1.35, Stronglight 55, XT everything else and lightish alloy finish kit. I then found that the lightest 26" carbon forks are usually a) disc only which has implications on wheel, brake system weight and (rotor) resilience to knocks, and b) no lighter than alloy e.g. Mosso. Indeed for longevity and given the bike's tendency to get knocked about I am avoiding anything carbon.

I did consider putting 700c and drop bars on, but decided to stick with 26" and flat bars for fat tyres and a more upright posture to maximise comfort.

schocca

Pictures would be cool! :becool:

fixedfixer

Veteran
I'm selling a Montague Paratrooper in the classifieds. The cross bar is one piece so you don't get any flexing - rides like a normal bike but with the advantage of being a folder.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 0
  • Mont 1.jpg
    Mont 1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 92

_Jim

Regular
Just thought I'd post a couple of pics of the folding roadie that I've just converted from a dahon jack d7. Only the frame, saddle and post were kept from the original dahon, everything else has been replaced. Was doing this on a budget.....sora groupset has replaced the old sram bits. Really happy with this......been using it for my commute on the train for a week now and it rides great......a slightly different feel to my standard roadie but still smooth and quick. Many thanks to Schocca for the help and advice on parts.....much appreciated! Just need to get one of the small fixed dahon stands to protect the chainrings when it's folded and it'll be complete.

Attachments

• folding roadie1.jpg
    folding roadie1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 150
  • folding roadie2.jpg
    folding roadie2.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 146

schocca

Just thought I'd post a couple of pics of the folding roadie that I've just converted from a dahon jack d7. Only the frame, saddle and post were kept from the original dahon, everything else has been replaced. Was doing this on a budget.....sora groupset has replaced the old sram bits. Really happy with this......been using it for my commute on the train for a week now and it rides great......a slightly different feel to my standard roadie but still smooth and quick. Many thanks to Schocca for the help and advice on parts.....much appreciated! Just need to get one of the small fixed dahon stands to protect the chainrings when it's folded and it'll be complete.

Sorry _Jim, I've been on holiday + totally maxed since the PM you sent me and unable to get back to you. I'm glad you got all the bits fitted ok. The bike looks fantastic!

Re the Dahon Stand. C H White can sell you one -> http://s442721994.e-shop.info/

It's hidden away on this page (they have different stands for the D7/D24 variants):
http://s442721994.e-shop.info/shop/...wYlVZdQKizxFjNI9ck2yVHgSZBUX&shop_param=cid=&

How does the FD shift? Are you using the Cyclocross unit I use on mine or did you try another product?

_Jim

Regular
Cheers schocca....yeh I like the 'stealth look' you get with the matt black frame!

The standard d7 stand is now just a bit too short due to the larger chainring......looks like the d24 will be the one I want......thanks for the link.

Went with the same cyclocross FD......seems to shift fine.......been on it a week now and is perfect for using on the train. Had quite a few admirers come and ask me about it too!

Top Bottom