Isle of arran first attempt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jnrmczip

Hi guys/girls

Going to arran this week most likely Wednesday. Looking for any tips and was wondering if anyone had a strava link to their arran trip so I can take a look at the route and the little spike chart of the hills. Would also like to know what sort of time it took people and how they found doing the cycle.

Thanks in advance

Brandane

Legendary Member
My preference is to go clockwise, i.e. turn left out of the ferry terminal. That way you get the roller coaster hills in the south out of the way with fresh legs, but you still have the big climb out of Lochranza at the north end! It's not too steep so just find your rhythm and don't try to break any speed records.
On phone now, but will link to strava later. Or search for "Brandane X96", I did Arran a few weeks ago.

PS... It's about 55 miles. Actual riding time was about 4 hours, but factor in breaks for photos, lunch, pint, etc.. I don't like to rush these things, it's a day out! Caught the 8.20 ferry from Ardrossan, and the return ferry was the one that leaves at 4.40 pm..

Edit..... Strava link here, @jnrmczip; and a few photos from the Scottish blethering thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jnrmczip

jnrmczip

My preference is to go clockwise, i.e. turn left out of the ferry terminal. That way you get the roller coaster hills in the south out of the way with fresh legs, but you still have the big climb out of Lochranza at the north end! It's not too steep so just find your rhythm and don't try to break any speed records.
On phone now, but will link to strava later. Or search for "Brandane 62", I did Arran a few weeks ago.

PS... It's about 55 miles. Actual riding time was about 4 hours, but factor in breaks for photos, lunch, pint, etc.. I don't like to rush these things, it's a day out! Caught the 9.45 ferry from Ardrossan, and the return ferry was the one that leaves about 5.00 pm..

Thank you for the reply I'm looking forward to it scenery looks awsome and I will most definetly tray it as a day trip so I can see the sights..

I've never been to Arran yet and made it to the return ferry in a relaxed fashion. It's a bit disconcerting to see the last ferry approaching Brodick when you are at Sannox!
The wind is your enemy. I've been blown almost to a standstill while cyclists have been flying past the opposite way.

zizou

Veteran
Choose the direction to go based on the prevailing wind, the west coast is pretty exposed

Machrie Bay is a good stopping off point for refreshments, about half way round.

OP
OP
jnrmczip

jnrmczip

I've never been to Arran yet and made it to the return ferry in a relaxed fashion. It's a bit disconcerting to see the last ferry approaching Brodick when you are at Sannox!
The wind is your enemy. I've been blown almost to a standstill while cyclists have been flying past the opposite way.

Tomorrow looks not to windy last time I checked so hopefully this isn't the case for me. Hope you managed to get a room if you missed the last ferry

OP
OP
jnrmczip

jnrmczip

Choose the direction to go based on the prevailing wind, the west coast is pretty exposed

Machrie Bay is a good stopping off point for refreshments, about half way round.
I will keep this in mind and plan a stop here Thank you

pjd57

Veteran
Just found this thread from 2 years ago. I've got an excuse , I've only been posting on here for a couple of months.

Just need to add my own recommendation. Going round Arran is a great day out.
Hills and wind take their toll over the 56 miles but it's worth the effort.

A pint on the ferry back to Ardrossan goes down well.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
A blast from the past...

On an extended family holiday in 1995, I was allowed to take a bike and escaped one day to do this ride - anticlockwise on Kintyre, clockwise on Arran:

Arran95.jpg

As a variation on the theme, it's certainly a spectacular ride and well worth considering. Of course, it would've been so much better if I'd done the full circuit of Arran as well. Now why didn't I do that???

pjd57

Veteran
A blast from the past...

On an extended family holiday in 1995, I was allowed to take a bike and escaped one day to do this ride - anticlockwise on Kintyre, clockwise on Arran:

View attachment 377407

As a variation on the theme, it's certainly a spectacular ride and well worth considering. Of course, it would've been so much better if I'd done the full circuit of Arran as well. Now why didn't I do that???
Kintyre clockwise or anti, how many miles is it ?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Kintyre clockwise or anti, how many miles is it ?
Just over 64 miles according to RwGPS.

However, many would say that having gone as far as Campbelltown, you really ought to make the most of it and explore to the end of the peninsula - it's not the sort of place you go to very often! When I was there I was on "day release" so didn't have the option. Sometimes it's helpful to have your mind made up for you.

Whatever, it was a memorable day, the bit in the far south west alongside the Atlantic especially spectacular.

Top Bottom