It must be an age thing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
If I go out on a ride say 3 times a week, like I used to, my average speed is 11.6 . I have noticed that if I go out only once a week, my average speed goes up to 12.5 mph and my legs feel better too so I put it down to ageing. I am 65 years old so it must take me longer to recuperate. People on here about my age, do you notice that too?

screenman

Legendary Member
I am a bit younger at 60, But I normally average 17mph if I ride once a week or 3 times a week. I swim a lot and I am happy on 2k a day for 3 days on the trot, a 4th is too much as I need a day off by then. So nowadays I swim Monday/Tuesday off Wednesday and back again for Thursday/Friday off at weekend. I cycle Wednesday and a weekend day and some shorter one's with the wife on other days.

It is a long working week that does me in, it never used to.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I rode with my brother yesterday- 50 miles on the tandem at an average of 13mph. He did 25 on the tandem today at an average of 15. He does a daily swim too. He runs 3 times a week. Sometimes he says it hurts. He's 61.

Our elder brother is 62 (or 3) and regularly rides 250 mile weeks at an average between 13and 18 mph, depending on what he's riding and who with. He is forever moaning about his health.

Just be happy that you can still do it. There will always be people who can go faster/harder than you, and there are millions of people younger than you that you're 10 times fitter than!

sight-pin

Veteran
Sometimes i've noticed an average speed difference after a short rest too, but just put it down to a more favourable wind direction.
My speeds are slow anyway,:rolleyes: 66 years young.

screenman

Legendary Member
I just had a thought, had a hard day yesterday clearing out a newly purchased house and fell asleep 45 minutes into TG. So that could mean I cannot handle a day like that anymore.

Sharky

Guru
@ 66, I do find recovery takes longer. Sometimes after an enforced rest (holidays etc), I feel unfit, but to my surprise, once on the bike feel as if a different set of muscles take over and I have a lively ride. I tend to keep my rides to a maximum of 2 hours now and often they are just an hour. I usually ride our weekly club 10's and I find that it takes about 3 days before I get my "zip" back. On my training rides, I think average speed is more dependent on the weather conditions.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
It all depends who i ride with, If i ride with the guys average speed can be up t 17 mph, Club rides are normally 14 to 15 mph, If i ride with my other half it can be between 12 and 14 mph. I ride any where between 120 to 200 miles a week that's 3 or 4 rides a week. I do find i am stronger after a couple of days of, We are doing the Cambridge fondo this coming Sunday, my last ride will be on the Thursday.rest days Friday and Saturday. Am a young in my head 64 year old.Just keep on doing what you do, But i would recommend riding with others.:okay:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Same here, just passed 60 and I need 2 or 3 clear days to recover from a ride or I find myself in a permanent spiral of tiredness. I have to go away for 2 week business trips when I eat and drink lots and take absolutely zero exercise and I'm always surprised at how strong my legs feel on my return.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
At 55, I seem to be getting along pretty well, but I'm surrounded by 75 and 80 year old guys on rides that can put me to shame, especially distance wise. The thing that has helped me the most in the past number of years is an older, but much better, bicycle.

Top Bottom