Japanese Keirin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
Very different to the sanitised version we see at international events! It's interesting that the allegations that Japanese paid a shedload of cash to UCI in Pat and Hein's day to get Keirin included at world level has resulted in no results for Japanese riders, so it could say to have backfired, rather like the derny at Manchester last weekend.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Very different to the sanitised version we see at international events! It's interesting that the allegations that Japanese paid a shedload of cash to UCI in Pat and Hein's day to get Keirin included at world level has resulted in no results for Japanese riders, so it could say to have backfired, rather like the derny at Manchester last weekend.

NJS Keirin we see at international events basically means there is prize money for the winners (I am pretty sure there was some NJS Keirin at the 2011 Track World Cup on the side, or maybe it was at Revolution).

Japanese keirin is very different to keirin as we know it here too, they have lots of etiquette that might seem outlandish to our riders. Such as they declare their strategy before the race, e.g. they will announce they are going for a long one.

Last edited:

oldroadman

Veteran
NJS Keirin we see at international events basically means there is prize money for the winners (I am pretty sure there was some NJS Keirin at the 2011 Track World Cup on the side, or maybe it was at Revolution).

Japanese keirin is very different to keirin as we know it here too, they have lots of etiquette that might seem outlandish to our riders. Such as they declare their strategy before the race.

Quite - and gamblers place some very heavy bets on the races. Diffferent business, as some non-Japanese track riders have found when they go to Japan to play in the keirin.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Quite - and gamblers place some very heavy bets on the races. Diffferent business, as some non-Japanese track riders have found when they go to Japan to play in the keirin.

I read an interesting article with a UK rider who goes there in the off-season to race under invite. He describes a lot of the etiquette and how it goes down. Racers have something like 3 different strategies (each with a name) and they all announce their strategy beforehand and stick to it, unless the race unfolds in a way that they HAVE to deviate.

zizou

Veteran
I suspect part of the reason for the lack of Japanese success at Olympic level is because of how lucrative the Keirin racing is there - the top riders make alot of money and it doesnt lend itself to training and peaking for world championship and Olympic cycles. At the world level how many elite sprinters make a decent living from their events? I dont mean the (relatively speaking) big money that Sir Chris Hoy earned from endorsements but enough to be a pro athlete...the numbers are very small whereas by comparision in Japan there are about 5000 professionals.

I read an interesting article with a UK rider who goes there in the off-season to race under invite. He describes a lot of the etiquette and how it goes down. Racers have something like 3 different strategies (each with a name) and they all announce their strategy beforehand and stick to it, unless the race unfolds in a way that they HAVE to deviate.

Senko for attacking early from the front, makuri for attacking from second wheel about 300 m to go and oikomo attacking from mid pack and leaving it late. Last year there was a good interview with Shane Perkins who went over to Japan after the Olympics http://cyclingtips.com.au/2012/10/keirin-racing-in-japan-with-shane-perkins/

Top Bottom