Jazz

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Just listening to Ray Charles Modern Sounds in Country and Western, country songs they are, country music it ain't. Anyway this is pretty jazzy, better than all that pretentious nonsense from the stripey topped beret wearers that you usually get. This is hep...

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Don't forget Wet Wet Wet!

(I'm not helping, am I?)

And...

Jimmy+Shand+A+Tribute+To+Jimmy+Shand+-+The+568478.jpg

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Watched some Jazz on Sky Arts last night - John Coltrane I think it was - completely random notes played by each of the band members. It was just a cacophony of noise as far as I could make out. Not impressed.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Watched some Jazz on Sky Arts last night - John Coltrane I think it was - completely random notes played by each of the band members. It was just a cacophony of noise as far as I could make out. Not impressed.
Yes, he did a lot of that later in his career. There's quite a lot of that 'fire in a pet shop jazz' around - him, Ornette Coleman, Cecil Taylor are three that spring to mind. Serious Jazz Buffs only. Have to confess I find it totally unlistenable. 'A cacophony of noise' sounds like a good name for one of their albums...

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
No he didn't. Coltrane never played a random note in his entire career. People on threads about jazz do, however, appear to assemble their thoughts in ways that appear almost random. I think of cisamcgu's post above as sort of the opposite of a Coltrane phrase.

You are entitled to your opinion, mine differs though :smile:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
You are entitled to your opinion, mine differs though :smile:
I don't agree that you are 'entitled' to your opinion on Coltrane, as it happens. You have an opinion, that's all.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
No he didn't. Coltrane never played a random note in his entire career. People on threads about jazz do, however, appear to assemble their thoughts in ways that appear almost random. I think of cisamcgu's post above as sort of the opposite of a Coltrane phrase.
"If you are unfamiliar with Coltrane's music and wish to hear it, you can get almost the entire oeuvre on disc. I recommend starting at the beginning and stopping half-way through." http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...669454/Nothing-sounds-like-John-Coltrane.html

Even if that is from The Telegraph, I'd still go along with it, personally. Other tastes may differ...

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
I love and adore Jazz and have since I was 10 or 12yrs old. I have heard that comment about random notes and nobody playing the same note so many times over the years. Sorry if this sounds condescending but it usually comes from people who still love music but with absolutely no musical ear. I think you have to immerse yourself in jazz listening to every note and every instrument. You kind of have to work at it.

Having said this I have heard some very modern stuff and struggled to follow it ^_^

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Then let me alter it, just for you. You are entitled to voice your opinion, but mine continues to differ !
You don't need to soften anything for my benefit. What I'm confused about is why you think your opinion matters in this case. You heard something you didn't understand - there's no shame in that. It's insulting and idiotic to suggest that just because you don't understand what you are hearing, it makes no sense. Do you think that people talking in languages you don't speak are just making random noises?

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
You don't need to soften anything for my benefit. What I'm confused about is why you think your opinion matters in this case. You heard something you didn't understand - there's no shame in that. It's insulting and idiotic to suggest that just because you don't understand what you are hearing, it makes no sense. Do you think that people talking in languages you don't speak are just making random noises?

Well, I stand by my opinion (entitled or otherwise) that what I heard was simply noise with no musical merit what so ever; and, as far as I am concerned, my opinion matters as much as the next person.

I am sure that many people, you included obviously, have a different idea.

Top Bottom