Jensie and the hour 18/9

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Aye, I did a bit of reading up on it today and it seems that it's typical Jens tittery; so I retract my previous congratulations but maintain that he's a tit and a doper

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

That's the one thing i don't understand about it, the UCI have removed the restrictions on bike technology, which now allows carbon frames, disc wheels, TT/Tri Bars and riding positions similar to Obree's "Superman", why haven't they reinstated Boardmans 56.375km from 1996?

Incorrect.

davester65

Growing Old is Compulsory...Growing Up is Optional
Incorrect.

cycle19e.jpg

Expand

davester65

This is what doesn't make sense.......look at the progression of the riding styles........does any one of these positions give a significant advantage against the others....and if so...how do they measure it?

obree01.jpg Chris-Boardman-in-action--002.jpg cycle19e.jpg BOARDMAN_Christopher0011.jpg

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
This is what doesn't make sense.......look at the progression of the riding styles........does any one of these positions give a significant advantage against the others....and if so...how do they measure it?

View attachment 56817 View attachment 56818 View attachment 56819 View attachment 56820

You will need to be clearer about what it is that doesn't make sense?

You can easily determine if a position offers a significant advantage by measuring or calculating a riders CdA.

davester65

The thing that i don't understand is why they haven't re-instated Boardmans 56km record, i fail to see where any significant gains can be made from the 3 different riding positions, but i can see where significant gains can be made from different bikes.

from the pics...
Pic 1 is a banned position on a banned bike
Pic 2 is a legal position on a banned bike
Pic 3 is a legal position on a legal bike
Pic 4 is a banned position on a banned bike

so if Jens had ridden the Lotus bike on Thursday his "new record" wouldn't stand?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The UCI either have to say that anything human-powered is ok in which case everybody would have to ride recumbents with fairings to stand a chance against everybody else who did OR they make rules about what is allowed and what isn't, which is what they have done.

The problem was that they had different rules for the hour record compared to other timed events, which made no sense whatsoever. The new rules make sense to me.

As for 'failing to see' how gains could be made from different positions ... The records set using the 'Superman' position show how efficient it was. Nobody has got close to them using more conventional positions.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
The thing that i don't understand is why they haven't re-instated Boardmans 56km record, i fail to see where any significant gains can be made from the 3 different riding positions, but i can see where significant gains can be made from different bikes.

from the pics...
Pic 1 is a banned position on a banned bike
Pic 2 is a legal position on a banned bike
Pic 3 is a legal position on a legal bike
Pic 4 is a banned position on a banned bike

so if Jens had ridden the Lotus bike on Thursday his "new record" wouldn't stand?
Colin's nailed this. And the Lotus would not be eligible.

davester65

The new rules make sense to me.

As for 'failing to see' how gains could be made from different positions ... The records set using the 'Superman' position show how efficient it was. Nobody has got close to them using more conventional positions.

The new rules make sense to me too...but why re-instate the use of TT/Tri bars/bikes and not re-instate past records gained using similar equipment?

If the Superman position was too advantageous why was Obree's 52km record annulled using the tuck position? Surely both cannot be better than the now legal position which is half way between?

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think what the UCI want is to have riders riding something that looks like a 'pretty normal' bicycle and using a position that is 'pretty normal'. They have decided that tribars, disk wheels, aero helmets etc. are allowed, but extreme positions, different sized wheels and so on are not.

Other sports change the rules from time to time so old records no longer make sense. Didn't they do it for the Javelin, because throwers were starting to endanger people by throwing the old ones too far?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
The new rules make sense to me too...but why re-instate the use of TT/Tri bars/bikes and not re-instate past records gained using similar equipment?

If the Superman position was too advantageous why was Obree's 55km record annulled using the tuck position? Surely both cannot be better than the now legal position which is half way between?
The 2000 UCI hour record rule changes (that effectively turned the clock back to Merckx in 1972) introduced the 'Best Human Effort' category- Boardman and Obree's superman runs, amongst others, were retrospectively put into that section. The latest changes have been a reset- Best Human Effort no longer exists, and Boardman's 56km run no longer counts as the bike would not be legal under current track regulations. Therefore the mark Jens had to beat was Sosenka's.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
While I can see the of need for equipment regs, the UCI's handling of the matter in the Boardman/Obree days was monstrously cack-handed and at times outrageously unfair, and effectively killed a golden egg laying goose, as the hour record was a hot property at the time and there was much interest and they turned it into a mess that no one was interested in trying. Hopefully we are going to see a less cack handed era.

Top Bottom