Jensie and the hour 18/9

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davester65

Growing Old is Compulsory...Growing Up is Optional
Don't get me wrong...i'm all for the rule changes, the ultimate pro cycling challenge is back! That's got to be a good thing. I think we're going to see some fantastic attempts at this record over the next 18 months. I vividly remember screaming and shouting at the telly 20 years ago when Boardman and Obree went at it hammer and tong for a couple of years. My whole point of debate is that i don't think the riding position is that significant, i think the bike is.........remind yourselves of this ride from the tour 20 years ago

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjJ60Kx2j8I

still unsurpassed to this day.........and CB rode in the style that has since become the standard.

I think what the UCI want is to have riders riding something that looks like a 'pretty normal' bicycle and using a position that is 'pretty normal'. They have decided that tribars, disk wheels, aero helmets etc. are allowed, but extreme positions, different sized wheels and so on are not.

Other sports change the rules from time to time so old records no longer make sense. Didn't they do it for the Javelin, because throwers were starting to endanger people by throwing the old ones too far?
Yep and they appear to have done it for triple jump too after Jonathan Edwards stopped jumping.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
@davester65 you keep saying that position is not that significant, yet the bike is. This is the opposite of the reality of things. The rider on the bike accounts for the vast majority of overall drag, therefore reducing the drag of the rider through position optimization is by FAR the greatest contributor to increased speed.

Even within the bounds of a normal, UCI time trial/pursuit position an optimized position could be worth several minutes over a non-optimized position in a 40km time trial. When I say optimized, this might involve only very minor changes, some not even visually detectable to the untrained eye, vs a non-optimized position.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Top Bottom