joining a club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simo105

Hi all! New member here. Ive been cycling on roads for a month or two now, and ive seen a few clubs on my rides and I was thinking would I be able to keep up and join them? Ive been doing about 30miles at an average of 16mph on strava. Im from burntwood, lichfield and ive been in touch with one of the local clubs im just worried id be left behind!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I would think the club will have a beginners section. Most do. Call them up or email to ask.

The Mighty Boosh

I go on 2 club rides, one is a beginner ride of just 40 - 50 miles average speed of 14-16 mph and we always wait for the slow guys, second ride is 25 miles at 18-20 mph average speed and again we always wait, no one is left behind.

OP
OP
simo105

simo105

Cheers mighty ive asked two clubs near me. One club has a ride tonight about 30miles at 17-18mph. I was thinking about going but not sure if ill keep up but they guy says we wont leave anyone behind. The other club do several rides. There's a saturday ride thats 14-16mph so might go for this one. Im a little worried because ive never road in a group so im inexperienced and dont want to cause any problems!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Cheers mighty ive asked two clubs near me. One club has a ride tonight about 30miles at 17-18mph. I was thinking about going but not sure if ill keep up but they guy says we wont leave anyone behind. The other club do several rides. There's a saturday ride thats 14-16mph so might go for this one. Im a little worried because ive never road in a group so im inexperienced and dont want to cause any problems!

Firstly, you will ride faster and further in a group than alone.

Listen to the advice of other members/take instruction.
Don't try and ride at the front, it'll kill you, keep towards the tail out of the way
Ride smoothly
Don't look at the wheel in front, look at the arse and a little up the road frequently
Don.t suddenly get out of the saddle in a group 'cos it makes the bike go backwards into the person behind
Don't half wheel, either follow or alongside
Don't drink, fart, smoke unless you're at the back
Don't panic
Do enjoy!

Once you've discovered the art, close group riding is fast, fun, efficient and rewarding. However, it takes time to learn the skills and gain the confidence of your fellow riders.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Let us know how you get on. Club riding is fun and you will learn a lot in a short time from the other members. There is the social side as well to joining a club.

OP
OP
simo105

simo105

Yer im also looking into doing some sportives next year but I like the idea of been in a club! I played football most of my childhood and been part of a club is the best place for experience and knowledge

tjones

Have a look at their web sites and try the easiest first. I am not a fast rider so just do the leisure rides with my local club. I dare say if I was faster they would recommend me to go out on other rides.

Top Bottom