July 25th, London to Hastings: the Wen to Wen ride

Which ride most interests you?

• London to Hastings

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Tunbridge Wells to Hastings & back again (the Witch's Hat)

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
It's on my radar but family life is a bit frantic at the moment. I'll make a decision nearer the time.
Works for me. I appreciate that slotting quality road time somewhere in between quality family time can be tough.

The only real experience I have attending group rides* was the FNRttC, planned years if not decades in advance, when my own modus operandi is closer to How am I feeling today? Good? Then let's do it. Not to mention the weather. I've done lots and lots of riding in the rain over the years. It can be fun or it can be a slog. With the Friday night rides it helped that there was such high turnout: company often banishes misery. With a ride like this, less company may (or may not!) mean more misery. I just don't know. Not to mention hills. Hills in the wet are not fun.

Therefore when I organised my first ride I was happy for people to consult the sky and their sense of whimsy and just turn up. I didn't want to tie them in to a definite date when that's not in my nature (though obv. I had to produce a date before the ride...). But I also understand that people like to plan their lives a little. And so, a date we have. I hope it works out. If not, maybe I'll try try again in August.

Which is all to say I've added you to the list of maybes.

bystanders1.jpg

* the Dun Run technically being classified a mass evacuation

Last edited:

saoirse50

Veteran
Lewisham Cyclists did a London to Hastings ride a couple of weeks back...we really enjoyed it. Route is sort of here , although it may not be exactly all the roads we followed. A ride report is here. I would be interested in coming along, but I would have to be a maybe...I am a cycle instructor and I have already offered a trainee that date as one of two options for a training session. So depends on what they choose, really. Needless to say, I would much rather be riding down Kent and Sussex country lanes with fellow riders than teaching someone how to negotiate their London commute, so here's hoping.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
A ride report is here.
Ah, lovely bluebells. I would have arranged to have them (or their look-alikes) garland the route. Unfortunately they will have long since burned out by then, else I could even coax my wife along. For the bluest – well, purplest – bellest miles at least.

bells.jpg

I am a cycle instructor
Back to school.
I would be interested in coming along, but I would have to be a maybe...
Have added you to the list of maybes.

Last edited:
Have been contemplating this for a while as it appeals, especially since discovering I can avoid the big smoke taking the train home.
Atrocious weather, as opposed to regular uk summer weather, and engineering works are only foreseeable obstacles, if you'll have me.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
You're very much on the list.
I note that Storrington "existed in the Domesday Book, listed as 'Estorchestone', meaning a place well known for storks." Are there still any storks about?

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
We could raise a flag when we get there
flag.jpg

If enough people have come along we could then try forming ourselves into a skull and crossbones as I've seen the locals do
pirate3.jpg

It's a tradition in Hastings to dress as your ancestors did. Clearly this woman has a zombie pirate bloodline
pirate9.jpg

Arrrr, Health & Safety will be wanting to have a look at that blade
kidpirate.jpg

There are rather more gulls than parrots
gully.jpg

To answer your question more sensibly, I have no al dente plans for post ride activities, but will make myself available as a tour guide if anyone wants. As for imbibing victuals or drink, Hastings caters to all marauders

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apJ9rIELH4o

Last edited:
You're very much on the list.
I note that Storrington "existed in the Domesday Book, listed as 'Estorchestone', meaning a place well known for storks." Are there still any storks about?

I've not seen any but I'm relatively new round these parts. But I've seen them on the village sign! (I thought they were herons which DO reside here!)

upload_2015-6-2_16-2-21.jpeg

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I've not seen any but I'm relatively new round these parts. But I've seen them on the village sign! (I thought they were herons which DO reside here!)

View attachment 90570

What did the clueless stork say to the heron about starting an exclusive club? No egrets.

Here's the sign of a nearby village before extensive renovations. For some reason the village elders were cagey about where they got the money.

villagedamned.jpg

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
An ancient law forbids teetotallers like myself from setting foot (wheels aren't mentioned) in Hastings under pain of fine, the proceeds of which go to restocking Smugger's Adventure with gold foil wrapped chocolate coins and the Jerwood Gallery with David Hockney fridge magnets.

In my experience, people either love Hastings or loathe it – though to be honest I've run into more loathers than lovers. (The lovers tend to nest in the old town; the loathers dodge dog do in less salubrious neighbourhoods.) I don't actually live there, but a dozen or so miles north, which is probably far enough away to gaze upon it fondly...

Here's a link to some of the many attractions:
http://www.prettygoodbritain.com/Hastings.html

golfship.jpg

Pirate ship beached in a mini golf course

pile.jpg

Love is always in the air

Hbike.jpg

Bikes don't get stolen, they get removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Seeing as it's half 4 in the morning and I have nothing better to do, such as sleep, I thought I'd throw this survey question out there: What's the earliest you'd be willing to turn up for this ride? After all, it is 80-odd miles with hills thrown in (which more than doubles that, right? flatten it out and it must be several hundred miles, if my math is correct). We've had 9am starts and that was OK, we still got there, but it did feel like we were kind of rushing at the end, when we should be easing into relaxation mode.

time travel:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKdsArZ2Nes

Last edited:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Seeing as it's half 4 in the morning and I have nothing better to do, such as sleep, I thought I'd throw this survey question out there: What's the earliest you'd be willing to turn up for this ride?

Are we starting at HPC? I don't mind early starts in principle - my cut-off point will be determined by logistics. At a guess I'd say 8 is reasonable, 7 is not impossible, and 6 is risky unless all the troops are stationed nearby and under strict instructions...

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Official start is Somerset House at the north end of Waterloo Bridge, though if anybody wants to meet up as we gawk at the Crystal Palace dinos that's also OK.

Top Bottom