July 25th, London to Hastings: the Wen to Wen ride

Which ride most interests you?

• London to Hastings

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Tunbridge Wells to Hastings & back again (the Witch's Hat)

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Official start is Somerset House at the north end of Waterloo Bridge, though if anybody wants to meet up as we gawk at the Crystal Palace dinos that's also OK.
That could be handy for me, as I have a pal who lives in Thicket Road, at the bottom of the park. Waterloo is easy if I am coming in from out of town.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Crystal Palace Jurassic Park works well as it's a planned stop and close enough to the beginning for reliable timing. Somewhere like Tunbridge Wells is also potentially doable, though anybody who joins that far south won't be eligible for the certificate of completion.

anothersam
theclaud
gr3g0ree
jiberjaber - more yes than no
martin235 - depends on momentum?
ridiculous old lush - maybe
saoirse50 - here's hoping
Shadow

Last edited:

jiberjaber

Veteran
I'm more 'yes' than 'no' now following the firming up of my holiday plans :smile:

What time were you thinking of departing Somerset House?

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Have updated your status accordingly.
There is an ongoing public consultation about the departure time. Right now I'm thinking 8 at the NE corner of Waterloo Bridge, with an 8.45~9.00 pickup in front of the Crystal Palace Iguanodons.

jiberjaber

Veteran
That's potentially doable, I've got to come in from Chelmsford and ride over, I think the 08:00ish from CHM will get me in to LST for 08:45 which should leave me some time to roll over to you for a 09:00 rolling start LOL :smile:

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Coming into Liverpool Street Station at that time would be fine for a 9am departure at the Waterloo Bridge start, rather than the 8am start from that location which I'm currently hoping for – 9.00ish is from Crystal Palace Park, which is around 40mins down the road from Waterloo Bridge… Thus my current survey question, how early can you make it?

jiberjaber

Veteran
Brain fade again! Subconsciously I suspect I was battling an early start! LOL

Potentially I can do a 07:45 in to LST... must remember to get everything ready night before :smile:

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
After chatting with @iLB on the Bridges & Beers ride I have taken it upon myself to add him to the list as a maybe. I've also put User on, both as a way of attempting to summon him and because he can't object.

anothersam
theclaud
gr3g0ree
jiberjaber - more yes than no
martin235 - depends on momentum?
ridiculous old lush - maybe
saoirse50 - here's hoping
Shadow - depends on time
iLB - maybe
User - if the fates will it
StuAff - maybe

Last edited:

gr3g0ree

Based in SW18 I can make it at any time. Would prefer the 8am start but I guess we all should try and *accommodate any latecomers.

*disclaimer - lets hold the right to change the start time without any notice :smile:

Have been away for a week, so am only just seeing this now. If you want to start at 08.00 ish, sadly I will have to bow out. Even a 09.00 start means early alarm call for me - 07.20 train ETA at Victoria is 08.45. A 06.55 gets in at 08.16. Getting up and riding to station to catch this is doable but unpalatable.
Best not delay the ride just for my benefit.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
The route is pretty much grooved into my brain. However, I will be doing a recce just to make sure all the roads are still there where I left them. Wouldn't mind having somebody along for company and a fresh set of eyes. The trouble is I can only do a weekday. If you've got one free sometime after July 6th and you fancy getting at least 82 miles of Kent and Sussex under your belt, let me know.

Top Bottom