July 25th, London to Hastings: the Wen to Wen ride

Which ride most interests you?

• London to Hastings

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Tunbridge Wells to Hastings & back again (the Witch's Hat)

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Did a recce yesterday, which went well, though in rural areas I was approached by grazing animals in search of a salt lick. I also had to walk one hill. You'll know which soon enough.

Spent 8 hours on the road, perhaps 7.5 of them moving. I'm expecting longer on the day given I didn't stop to gawk, which I hope people will do from time to time.

Estimate we will be eight strong. Am aiming for a 8.30 start. One of us is racing in from Victoria Station having alighted about 10 minutes before that, so let's wish him winged speed.

I've advertised that you can also join the ride at the dinosaurs at Crystal Palace Park; please let me know if you intend to do that.

My phone number is available for the asking. At the very least I would like to give it to somebody who is definitely starting at Somerset House, in case I have train problems.

My current plan is to both lead the ride and be back marker. It's possible I may run into difficulties being two places at once, so volunteers who don't mind a spell at the back are welcome.

We'll be stopping for lunch in Tunbridge Wells at the 40mi mark. I had a moment of doubt today when I came across an exceedingly pleasant pub near Penshurst, which is around mile 32: not yet halfway but far enough to be more than halfway hungry. The problem is we have a bit of real climbing to take care of just after that, and legs grown idle through lack of use may rebel. So barring mutiny, we'll stick with T. Wells, at a cafe which doesn't have nearly as pleasant an aspect but does have enough of a bikey ambience to make up for it.

Note that for a mile or so on the approach to Hastings we'll be on packed and some not-so-packed gravel just off the beach. While there are metalled transport links between Bexhill to Hastings, it's not the kind of entrance one wants to make. Although I didn't have any problems on my 23c tyred bike, I thought you should know.

entrance.jpg

At the start: the place where X marks the spot (see post #110) was unavailable. If it's closed Saturday morning, please don't attempt to scale the barrier, it's not that important we start at X.

buyit.jpg

Velo cafe along the way which failed the "How much is a small bottle of water?" test: £1.30.

brightling.jpg

We'll be passing through here roughly when the flower show is starting to kick off. For the wars of the roses re-enactment you may be asked to pick a side: Go House Lancaster! (Chosen at random, tbh.)

pyramid.jpg

There's no sphinx at the pyramid, but there were sheep.

vegan.jpg

On the coast. Watch out for vegans, who often wander through here delirious from lack of seafood.

approach2.jpg

Further along the coast. On the left is the chain link fence keeping Bexhillians in quarantine.

face.jpg

Either I was suffering a touch of heatstroke by the end, or this building was.

Last edited:

jiberjaber

Veteran
Just checking in that we're all good to go on this, have the hills been washed away? It's been a bit wet today, might have to deploy mudguards!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
A visit to the velohouse to say hello was a good idea so i went. splendid bunch, very cheerful. joining them for the rest of the ride would have been an even better idea, scotched by the need to change a laptop and clean a bike and change its chainring. Couldn't do it tomoz as i am meeting for lunch some friends i met whilst i was in a place I'm not allowed by Adrian to mention, as I keep going on about it.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Brilliant day out. A few mechanicals plus lengthy lunch stop (combination of a couple of forgotten orders and the climax of a bike race on telly) meant the expected timings went a bit awry & four of us bailed for trains via Brighton just after seven. More to follow. Thanks everyone, especially ride leader @anothersam of course. Hopefully get the full ride done next year!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
@anothersam thank you, that was great fun. Perfect weather. Good company. Good lunch. Interesting points of interest.
This. Thank you. Will write more later.

StuAff

By any stretch of the imagination, that was a bit of an action-packed day, even if I had taken various options to get into London a bit later- either more expensive, not allowing much time to get to the bridge, or both. But, being me, that wasn't going to happen, even after a late shift & extended commute home (roadworks one reason, easing off the speed on account of the rain for another). So, in bed not long before eleven, four o' clock alarm call, on the road at 4.46 for a 5.00 train into Victoria. Scheduled arrival time there just before seven- but it's a pain to get to Waterloo from Victoria, and Clapham Junction is still only five miles or so. Now, I could click my heels for an hour and a half, or I could go for a bit of a ride first. Tough one.... So, I left the train at East Croydon (6.40) and took an elongated route to the centre of town. My thinking was I might as well try and get another ton for the month (which, if circumstances had been different would have been achieved), and I had the time to do the necessary extra. So, to Waterloo Bridge via Mitcham, Wimbledon, Putney Bridge, Hyde Park and the Mall. Came round the Aldwych/Strand one way system with impeccable (OK, fortuitious) timing right behind our ride leader, where we were immediately joined by Russ, and the rest of us (twelve in all) soon followed.

Introductions and reintroductions made, Sam gave us his pre-ride talk complete with highly entertaining flyer, before the same as it ever was trudge to the 'burbs. Adrian suffered the first deflation in Camberwell, then on we went to Crystal Palace Park where we paused for calls of nature, dinosaur models, and entertainment from a couple of shy and retiring dogs. After Beckenham and West Wickham (at some point I heard from a car the somewhat bizarre heckle, 'Are you real?'), we finally reached countryside. A short pause at Downe (home of Charles Darwin) before the first, and probably nastiest climb of the day, Church Hill. I failed to make it all the way up, though only because I stopped at a (clear) junction and getting started again on 25% wasn't going to happen. Jason's chain decided to explode soon after but an emergency repair got him rolling again. On a quick descent before Westerham Russ had a prang, going into a hedge- a few scrapes, he'll be wanting Rapha's (free) repair service for his jersey, and somewhat bizarre (though fortunately not terminal to his ride) rear wheel spoke damage. A break in Westerham allowed for shopping trips to the bike shop there, before (just for a change...) some more hills. There are many roads called something Hill in this part of the world. They are well named....

Fortunately, that was pretty much it for mechanicals before we made our somewhat delayed lunch stop in Tunbridge Wells, where we were graced with the presence of @mmmmartin. The Velo House is one of the increasingly popular bike shop/cafe combos. No idea about the shop (according to Martin, very expensive, the web site does have some lower-end stuff but clearly mostly aimed at large disposable incomes) but the food was pretty good, in the LMNH vein- i.e. a bit pricey, portions a bit stingy, but quality stuff. Also pricey were many of the bikes parked up there. I ate beside a Colnago C59, very nice indeed, but the winner of the £££££ and I Want That One award was a Parlee (couldn't see the model name, but they don't do anything less than about £3k, that's for their least pricey stock frames, they offer full custom sizing and custom carbon layup...) with full Campagnolo Super Record EPS (if you shop around, another £3k or so), and ENVE wheels (yup, probably another £3k, if not more).....As a bike cafe, they naturally had the Phil & Paul show on the big screen, and with our late arrival there wasn't that much of the stage left, so unsurprisingly there was some interest in the climb and whether Froome was keeping the time gap low enough to stop Quintana taking yellow. As it was, he did, but we didn't leave there until a quarter to four. That six o'clock finish time looked increasingly remote, but not that much of an issue, just yet..

After Tunbridge, you'll never guess, but there were some more hills, and Sam's discourse on their severity bore an increasing similarity to that by certain other ride leaders :smile: I hasten to add that this was not a shock to me, having ridden in the area before, and my own neck of the woods is very similar terrain. Brightling saw an unexpected bonus when Sam took us to the pyramid built by John 'Mad Jack' Fuller as his own mausoleum, one of several follies he built. Someone was filming there, and a local expert in costume as 'Mad Jack' told us a little about him- quite a character by all accounts. After the last big climb of the day we were greeted by the welcome sight of Sam's wife offering drinks, cake, and fortune muffins (made by Sam, and very nice they were too). The pace in the second half picked up noticeably (rolling terrain more than hilly, and the carbs may have helped!) but some of us who had longer journeys or other things scheduled were thinking of bailing. Just after seven, on the outskirts of Pevensey, Christian headed off at his own pace for Hastings (accommodation waiting for him), and Claud, Adrian, Nigel and myself went for the nearby station. Trains home for me were increasingly sparse- we got the 1948 to Brighton (left Hastings 1926), the last one via Brighton to Fratton was an hour after that. I might just have made that with the group, it would have been a bit tight for my liking though, and if any later I'd need an expensive new ticket, and a four hour journey via Clapham Junction (!). Caution won the day, and I was back home just after half-ten. As it was, despite not making Hastings, and not getting that ton (90 in total for me) an absolutely brilliant day. Great weather, great company, gorgeous scenery, interesting history lessons, even some cracking telly…Well done Sam. Might be an idea to schedule next year's outside the Tour's three weeks though!

Last edited:

jiberjaber

Veteran
Fantastic ride, echo everything above, kudos to Sam for organising and leading the ride, another great group ride with some familiar faces and new ones and good chat on the ride. A mixture of bikes made the trip including Eric (or Ernie) a 1950s vintage bike with the rear tyre held together with duct tape :smile:

I was lucky with the chain break, a new chain, second snapped chain in a week and as I was putting down some power out of the seat smashing my thigh into the bar end and somehow managing to stay upright.. Poor Claudia behind my must have had a heart attack with that going on in front of her! Luckily Adrian and Claudia had chain tools which with the removal of a link got me back on the road. I didn't Dare get out of the seat for the rest of the ride, might be a while before I forget and eventually do.

The ride into Hastings via Bexhill along the coast was good and fast, a nice lane with good surface and then along the beach front on what felt like an old railway line from the undulations eventually ending in Sam's American Quarter of Hastings.

At that point Rus and the KOM chap (sorry missed his name, Condor bike) departed for the train station.

Sam, Jef, the two ladies and myself headed to grab some food and a beer. Pie, chips, mushy peas and gravy washed down with my second pint of Harvey's of the day under the gaze of the net drying sheds.

I left Hastings on the 2135 for a calamity filled journey which saw me home around 01:30ish.

Great day out, thanks to everyone and Sam especially. Pics to follow.

StuAff

there is an audax called Mad Jack's
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-85/

it's the hardest in the south-east, possibly the country. lots of steep sharp climbs, winding roads, poor surfaces and bad weather. 125k.
that is the end of this Public Service Announcement.
8000ft of climbing in 85 miles (only about 60% lumpier per mile than a not exactly flat lap of the IOW). On those roads. Mad indeed.

Last edited:

StuAff

They would have been sparser had the metaphorical coin come down favouring Pevensey Bay rather than Pevensey and Westham. I reckon we could be there still.
You're right. Three trains a day to Brighton Monday to Friday, and it appears none at all at weekends.

Top Bottom