Just a general 'note to self'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I was out on a test ride today, bedding in a set of new forks on my MTB around some local farm tracks. They felt so much better than my previous Suntour (what wouldn't) that I started to push the ride a bit harder than I was really prepared for. I was wearing slacks and T shirt with no helmet. I was (by my standard) moving really quite quickly, when I found my wheels caught in a tyre rut, foolishly tried to steer out of it without lifting the front of the bike over the lip. Over I went, landing on the edge of the rut with my thigh trapping the large bunch of keys I had in my trouser pocket. One dead leg later I am feeling a bit of an idiot, a very sore ride home, trying not to show any symptons to the Mrs, who will be understandably unsympathetic, and taking everything quite slowly. Walking is painful and I am expecting a fair old bruise by tomorrow morning, at which point I guess I may have to fess up. So, note to self, BE PREPARED and RIDE WITHIN YOUR LIMITS.

OP
OP
Psycolist

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I would if I thought I had anything to pay myself, but I've spent it all on my bikes :bicycle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ouch - I hope it doesn't hurt too much tomorrow ...

I have had the same kind of accident due to an unforeseen wheel-rut interaction!

I did some bike fettling a couple of weeks ago and decided to ride round the block a few times to test the bike. I didn't bother to change into cycling kit (other than SPD shoes) for such a short ride. I was flying down a hill when my right trouser leg hooked itself over the front bottle cage and nearly had me off the bike! :eek: (I knew there was a reason for the invention of bicycle clips ...)

PS Actually, just tucking the trousers into my socks would have done the trick! The reason I didn't is because I wear knee length compression socks during the day except when on the bike. They are not easy to tuck anything into.

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Ouch - I hope it doesn't hurt too much tomorrow ...

I have had the same kind of accident due to an unforeseen wheel-rut interaction!

I did some bike fettling a couple of weeks ago and decided to ride round the block a few times to test the bike. I didn't bother to change into cycling kit (other than SPD shoes) for such a short ride. I was flying down a hill when my right trouser leg hooked itself over the front bottle cage and nearly had me off the bike! :eek: (I knew there was a reason for the invention of bicycle clips ...)

PS Actually, just tucking the trousers into my socks would have done the trick! The reason I didn't is because I wear knee length compression socks during the day except when on the bike. They are not easy to tuck anything into.
It just shows that even experienced cyclists can make basic mistakes. :blush:

Top Bottom