Just joined and stolenbike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Simon_m said:
Yeah i am very saddenered by my loss, and i am trying to look on the bright side of having a new bike. But I know it wont be the same :biggrin: She was really in need of a service too, brakes were shot, so hopefully they will find out they don't work well! off to look on gumtree etc.

I've got a pic of it, but not sure how to upload it to the forum yet? Any ideas please.
Just keep that image in your head of the ned (chav) heading straight for the canal and pulling the brakes only to find they don't work :smile: :ohmy:

If the image is under a certain size (pixels) you can attach it with the paper clip button (3rd in from the right on the top bar).

Alternatively if its a better quality image you'll need to up load it to a image hosting site, copy the link (which will typically end in .jpg). Then click on the insert image button (2nd row, 6 in from the right) and paste the link in there.
The second option is slightly harder IMO.

sarahpink

hi simon welcome to the forums really sorry to hear about your bike.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
well your pic looks like a friendly shark.

I've been wanting so joined a forum for a while to swap stories and rides, and have been thinking about joining a club - nothing serious though. I've had my own rides down to Brighton and Whitstable which have been interesting. Got a little lost on the way to Brighton and that ended up taking me 75 odd miles, and Whitstable the other week took 72miles. Some of the clubs look a bit serious and you have to give them 100 commitment, whereas I just want to join in rides when I am free. Any ideas?

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
OK thanks regarding the link, wil try that in a mo, if i can find the paperclip. Thanks to Sarah too.

Think i have attached the pic

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Sorry to hear about your bike. Hope it was insured. Do yourself a favour and get a proper lock with the replacement, though - cable locks really are pointless.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
It's a weight issue though, carrying a big thing around is a nightmare, especially when in your bag you have a gym kit, office clothes and lunch. But yes, I don't think I wil be leaving the next one outside. It had only been left outside a couple of times because i was so paranoid about it being taken.

Had a quick look on ebay and gumtree, nothing there yet. Prob see some little shoot riding it around next week, grrr

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Simon_m said:
It's a weight issue though, carrying a big thing around is a nightmare
Less of a nightmare than having your bike nicked, though.

Honestly, you get used to the weight of a proper lock.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Update: bike not insured. Bought it on the bike to work scheme, so los less money then the bike was worth.

I don't think I will bother with a lock again as it won't ever be left outside again under any conditions. There is the olther old trick of chaining another bike or bigger lock to your one, meaning you wil probably leave it overnight as you'd think it was an accident, or getting hold of a lock smith, and in the mean time, they come back with all the equipment they need to remove your lock.

I guess it's time to get down to the bike shop and see what there is for what I need it for. Thanks guys.

postman

Legendary Member
So sorry to read this .I must be a worrier cos i never leave mine out of my sight .

Somewhere on here is a photo of my mates in Grassingtonhaving lunch my bike is in the photo ,this side of the wall !!!!

Must learn to trust people more .

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
One of the PT's at my gym said he has left his in clear view of a CCTV camera with 3 locks, one of them a huge chunky one. Went back to it, gone. Managed to watch the CCTV back and said they turned up and cut through his locks and a load of other bikes so quickly, then a van pulled up and they chucked them in the back. All in a few seconds.

If you have a nice bike, i don't think its safe to leave it on the streets, no matter what locks, security, public view it is in. It's a shame it's come to this. Just make sure it stays at work and at home, oh, and on the road :smile:

Bman

Guru
I'm afraid thats how easy it is. Locks only deter the opportunists. If a group of people are intent on anything... they will manage it.

Ive had bikes nicked in the past, but only when I was a kid and didnt have the additional financial attachment. So those thefts were nothing compared to yours.

That said. The bike is gone mate. We cant help and the police, well, you'll be lucky if they are any help at all.

There are regular posts here of obviously stolen bikes, where the police seemingly do nothing. Even a forum members stolen bike was spotted on Ebay, the seller regularly selling dodgy looking bikes. What help are the police? :laugh::smile:

HLaB said:
Just keep that image in your head of the ned (chav) heading straight for the canal Magnatoms HGV driver and pulling the brakes only to find they don't work :smile: :smile:

Corrected for you HLab :sad:

Sorry, but its true. These people are scum

Top Bottom