Just seen a cyclist arrested and taken away outside my office.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
He got pulled for jumping 2 red lights. They took his details and issued a ticket. They took his name etc, checked him out and they said he had a £75 fine which was not paid. The handcuffed him, put his bike in the back of the van and drove off.

Thank goodness this menace is off the street. Obviously the cars I saw speeding down the road whilst this was going on are harmless and not worthy of the police’s attention.

They should be out catching murderers not ......

OP
OP
M

Markymark

If he a) had an outstanding fine and b) jumped red-lights, then I cannot see anything to complain about ...
Handcuffs and back of the van seems a little excessive to me. He was honest about who he was as they did a identification thing about scars with him.

martint235

Dog on a bike
All seems reasonable to me. Broke law, got nicked. Whether anyone else is breaking the law at the same time is irrelevant and a question of resourcing.

We need more police and then we need zero tolerance. Driving on mobile, nicked, fine. Cycling through red light, nicked, fine. Cycling inconsiderately on the pavement, nicked, fine. Dropping litter, nicked, fine.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Handcuffs and back of the van seems a little excessive to me. He was honest about who he was as they did a identification thing about scars with him.
Doesn't to me. Should happen more often, unfortunately the politicians will tell us we can't afford to. If we did it more often, there'd be a deterrent element.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

[QUOTE 3930212, member: 9609"]is any of that an arrestable offence, or could there be a little bit more to it.l[/QUOTE]
When arrested that was the reason - the £75 fine.

Maybe when they did checks, maybe he had a previous conviction for assault or GBH?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
They should be out catching murderers not ......

A shoplifter said that to me the day after I arrested someone for murdering two people. ^_^

Markymark. When I arrested anyone for anything I handcuffed them behind their backs. You really never know when the quietest, nicest person is going to totally flip out. I just explained gently that it was for my safety. I didn't handcuff them in front as I have seen prisoners use handcuffs as weapons on police officers and they make an awful mess. It does look excessive but it keeps you safe and they are less likely to do a runner.

hedder2212

Some forces have to put handcuffs on everybody they arrest for officers safety whilst transporting etc , sometimes the officers don't want to do that but they have to, regardless of the crime or the persons history

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I would imagine if they have a list of identifiable features such as scars he has some sort previous problems a bit more serious than running red lights.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Why only for "inconsiderately"? It's breaking the law just the same as any of the other offences, you don't get a free pass if you slow down for pedestrians
I worded it carefully as I thought new guidance had been issued around it. If police are still going to clamp down on it then yes all cycling on pavements

Top Bottom