Katsaridaphobia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
Living in the part of the world that I do I find that they are not the most pleasant to find in the house. Does anyone else have a fobia about them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

asterix

Comrade Member
expression is the need of my soul
i was once a vers libre bard
but i died and my soul went into the body of a cockroach
it has given me a new outlook upon life
i see things from the under side now
thank you for the apple peelings in the wastepaper basket
but your paste is getting so stale i cant eat it
there is a cat here called mehitabel i wish you would have
removed she nearly ate me the other night why dont she
catch rats that is what she is supposed to be fore
there is a rat here she should get without delay

wafflycat

Horrible things.

Reminds me of the biology lab in the grammar school I attended many years ago. In one corner of the lab was a large tank filled with Periplaneta americana.. blecccch!

And with regularity, escape artists could be found in the lab as in "Sir, there's a cockroach crawling up your trouser leg!"

longers

Legendary Member
Had to clean a well out on a sunflower seed processing plant in Israel, there were massive (3") ones living down there among the foot depth crust of rotting seeds from the previous season.

Possibly the worst job I've ever had to do. Which shows how lucky I've been :blush:.

Touché, Mr Oates! I had to google that word! :blush: I assumed that what with my starting a thread with the title Arachnophobia, I wouldn't need to explain further especially seeing as everyone's heard of the movie!

Anyway, once that's sorted out, yes I detest the little creatures: totally the opposite of spiders: I can't think of any good they do to our planet and the more harmful of them, the domestic invaders, I'd happily see eliminated (although many wild species of cockroach, those that don't come into houses, are actually quite benign and innocent).

And you don't need to go to the tropics to see them! One of my more unpleasant encounters was years ago, while eating a curry in Bradford, to have one of the blighters scuttle across my table and have a taste of my chapati. :wacko::ohmy::ohmy: Needless to say, I never patronised that (somewhat disreputable) establishment again (I heard that it later got shut down by the Public Health inspectors).

wafflycat

661-Pete said:
And you don't need to go to the tropics to see them! One of my more unpleasant encounters was years ago, while eating a curry in Bradford, to have one of the blighters scuttle across my table and have a taste of my chapati. :blush::ohmy::ohmy: Needless to say, I never patronised that (somewhat disreputable) establishment again (I heard that it later got shut down by the Public Health inspectors).

Reminds me of a Wafflycat Family holiday in Malta many years ago, when WCMnr was three. The complex we stayed in we 'fondly' named Camp Cockroach due to the number of the wee beasties scuttling round the restaurant & loo blocks..

my parents lived in Malaysia for 4 years and one stormy night the electricity tripped so dad went out to fuse box opened up the cover to find the box full of the blighters and they weren't small ones either!

my skin is crawling just thinking about it and it was 25 years ago! xx(:blush:

Windy

asterix said:
expression is the need of my soul
i was once a vers libre bard
but i died and my soul went into the body of a cockroach
it has given me a new outlook upon life
i see things from the under side now
thank you for the apple peelings in the wastepaper basket
but your paste is getting so stale i cant eat it
there is a cat here called mehitabel i wish you would have
removed she nearly ate me the other night why dont she
catch rats that is what she is supposed to be fore
there is a rat here she should get without delay

threebikesmcginty said:
Is that really you Archy?
For those interested, rest of the poem here. Also explains why it contains no capitals. :tongue:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Three roach encounters:

I was in a meeting with a customer in Kigali (pre-war) and I felt something run over my foot. Looked down and there was a chestnut roach as big as an avocado.

I was in a nice new, modern hotel room with a German girl and about to drive the pink skin bus into toytown. Looked up and saw a roach climbing the wall behind the bed. I ignored it.

I was in a hotel in Nigeria and they gave me a complimetary plate covered with clingfilm with some tasty looking sweet things underneath. When I picked it up to have a look one of them moved - it was a large roach trapped under the clingfilm.

Top Bottom