Kindle Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
After resisting for many years I've decided to buy a Kindle as my bookcase is groaning under the weight and I have an aversion to throwing books away, even my late MiL's gardening books (I hate gardening). Not got the space in the office for a new bookcase and they probably cost more than a Kindle anyway. So I've been looking at this -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fire-HD-Dis...e=UTF8&qid=1412102385&sr=8-16&keywords=kindle

Due out on Thursday and seems a good spec for the price. Now, stupid question time - I assume if I were to download a book it would also display whatever pictures are in the printed version? And does it actually look a good buy to you Kindle geeks?

Seems like a good buy... normally the books do have the pictures in, but possibly not always, we've got one of the original fires that we use as basic tablet and two 'original' kindles I find the fire a bit heavy to read in bed..... It hurts my nose when I fall asleep and drop it. The battery life on the 'fires' isnt as good as the original kindles but the extra features and the fact you can read it in semi darkness more than makes up for it, as its easy enough to charge while on holiday etc . Hope all that rambling helps

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Yes it would. But if what you want is an ebook, I'm not sure I'd go for that one, even tho' it does look good. Simply 'cos that's not an ebook, it's a tablet that you can put books on. The big difference being battery life - that'll last a day, Kindles last a month. If that's not a problem then sure.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Yes it would. But if what you want is an ebook, I'm not sure I'd go for that one, even tho' it does look good. Simply 'cos that's not an ebook, it's a tablet that you can put books on. The big difference being battery life - that'll last a day, Kindles last a month. If that's not a problem then sure.
Thanks, just read the spec and battery life is 8 hours with a six hour recharge time. Looks like a basic eReader then -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Glar...ie=UTF8&qid=1412104659&sr=8-1&keywords=kindle

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I have the paperwhite and I like it because you can read it in any light from sun light through to no light and the battery still lasts ages, any books with extra content eg videos I read on my Nexus 7 Tablet or my Phone or PC.

I like the look of the new one the Kindle Voyage but it is a bit chuffing expensive.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, as swee'pea says it's a tablet which you can load books on. I have a Kindle Paperwhite and it's really good, battery lasts ages. I also have an iPad which I have some books on, the only advantage being you get the pictures in colour. Just be aware you will be wedded to Amazon, which isn't a bad thing as there are loads of free books. I have just had an email offer from them where you can read as many as you like for seven quid a month,I think. You can also loan books.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
If you have a tablet, you can just download the kindle book app and tephen download to your hearts content. Then you won't need to buy a kindle

stephec

Legendary Member
If you have a tablet, you can just download the kindle book app and tephen download to your hearts content. Then you won't need to buy a kindle
The Dragon speaks wise words, can't believe I've just said that. :biggrin:

I've got the Kindle app on my tablet, only disadvantage is you can't read it in bright sunlight as you can with a Kindle.

Learnincurve

Ok, I have had almost every kindle going including the HD and HDX fires. First of all the HDX is much better than the HD for the very reason that people often dislike it. It has a strange green hue around the edge of the screen. This is a layer of light that no other tablet has that's designed to eliminate eye strain and it works very very well. However if you are looking for a completely uniform screen it will drive you nuts. You can read on the fires for at least 8 hours. They are appalling in the sun. They are very good at a few things, reading is the obvious one, if you have prime then the fires will give you free prime TV/Movies and they work beautifully with Audible and the Amazon store. They don't have every ap going but they do have tunein radio and enough free credits in the store to get the pro version. The audio can't be praised enough, they are twice as good as apple with or without earphones.

The kindle paperwhite is worth it. I have the first gen, my dad has the second and the third gen is coming out soon and tbh there is very little between them. The touch is a awful crock, we don't talk about the touch. The basic kindle you linked has no backlight so will need a lighted case/clip on light/bedside lamp on. The kindle e-readers are limited use but by far the best for reading.

Don't forget that all kindles be they e-reader, tablet or app can use mobi and there are plenty of legal (out of copyright) and free books on http://www.gutenberg.org/

If you are on a budget then you won't be disappointed with the cheaper versions, both of the ones you linked are actually re branded versions of several generations old models.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
The Dragon speaks wise words, can't believe I've just said that. :biggrin:

I've got the Kindle app on my tablet, only disadvantage is you can't read it in bright sunlight as you can with a Kindle.

I always speak wise words. You just don't listen.:laugh:

Rezillo

TwoSheds
As someone who disliked the touch version because the screen rapidly got grease marks from page turning, the new Kindle Voyage has brought back ("reinvented") buttons for page turns.

Sorry, they are not buttons but "PagePress sensors with haptics.PagePress is a custom-designed force sensor made of carbon and silver, which reacts to a subtle increase of pressure, triggers a page-turn and provides a haptic response only your thumb can perceive".

Buzzy buttons then.

Top Bottom