Kinetics Brompton 8 speed conversion kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The Mk VI version I believe current as at October 2011

In addition to the bits below you need new grips (I'm going with Ergon GC2 designed for Rohloff/Nexus use so assymetrical). While you are about it you might as well put some decent brake levers on, and swap the cables too, ideally to ones with cable oilers fitted.

The wheel
Sturmey%20Eight%20001.jpg

It is an unbranded rim and comes with no rim tape. EDIT: but is otherwise identical to the factory rim.

Now we get a little cranky...
Sturmey%20Eight%20004.jpg

The chain wheel is a tiny bit smaller than the dinner plate sized one on a standard Brompton.

Some close ups of the Sturmey X-RF8(W) hub....

Sturmey%20Eight%20002.jpg

Sturmey%20Eight%20003.jpg

All the bits'n'pieces, shifter, fittings and cable

Sturmey%20Eight%20005.jpg

Various shots of the modified chain tensioner

Sturmey%20Eight%20008.jpg

Sturmey%20Eight%20009.jpg

Sturmey%20Eight%20010.jpg

Sturmey%20Eight%20011.jpg

Sturmey%20Eight%20012.jpg

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Has been fitted. Some comments on that process here

Goldie

Über Member
I'd miss the Brompton chainset (there is something wonderful about the "borrowed from the Queen Mary's engine room" vibe that it has going on) but that looks like it'll make an already genius bike even better. Be interested to know how it rides...Does it give you a wider spread of gears or just fill in th gaps between your previous top and bottom (so to speak!)?

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'd miss the Brompton chainset (there is something wonderful about the "borrowed from the Queen Mary's engine room" vibe that it has going on) but that looks like it'll make an already genius bike even better. Be interested to know how it rides...Does it give you a wider spread of gears or just fill in th gaps between your previous top and bottom (so to speak!)?

our opinions of the brompton chainset differ. Something you might find in the bins on the Queen Mary perhaps....

what the sturmey 8 speed gives you is twistgrip driven

Overall Range - 325%
• Gear 1 - 100% (Direct Drive)
• Gear 2 - 130% (Gear 1 + 30%)
• Gear 3 - 148% (Gear 2 + 14%)
• Gear 4 - 169% (Gear 3 + 14%)
• Gear 5 - 192% (Gear 4 + 14%)
• Gear 6 - 220% (Gear 5 + 14%)
• Gear 7 - 250% (Gear 6 + 14%)
• Gear 8 - 325% (Gear 7 + 30%)

So a direct drive cliff climber and an overdrive top with 6 main gears in an even spread in the middle.

Top Bottom