Knee Op.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had my knee Op yesterday, meniscus cartilage tear. Left knee now swathed in bandage and beginning to swell rather impressively. Downside is no bike, upside is I've been signed off for 4 weeks, and as luck should have it the TDF is about that long....
As soon as it bends properly out out with the turbo trainer, zero resistance and spin baby spin.

vickster

Legendary Member
Medial or lateral, removal or repair of torn bit? Ice, ice, ice for the swelling, and keep the leg up as high as you can above your heart. I've had three arthroscpoies, two for meniscus tears, normally the monster bandage can come off in 24 hours, but still ice through the bandage. Then start to do your exercises, heel slides, quad contractions, ankle pumps, leg raises, will stop you losing all the muscle, help you get back the full rom you need for walking and cycling, and ease the swelling. Do Not support the leg on a pillow under the knee, only calf or ankle as this can cause scar tissue to form and mess up the rom

Take the pain meds they gave you for a few days, especially any anti inflammatories

4 weeks off, presumably some sort of active job?

Enjoy the tour. I was back on the exercise bike after a week, on the road after 4ish, so you should be spinning quite soon :smile:

Had my knee Op yesterday, meniscus cartilage tear. Left knee now swathed in bandage and beginning to swell rather impressively. Downside is no bike, upside is I've been signed off for 4 weeks, and as luck should have it the TDF is about that long....
As soon as it bends properly out out with the turbo trainer, zero resistance and spin baby spin.

Is it the nurses, or the food, that you want to go back for?

OP
OP
Incontinentia Buttocks

Incontinentia Buttocks

Über Member
Thanks for the advice Vickster. Medial tear which they have removed. Job involves lots of physical activity sometimes and I'd only end up damaging it if I went back too soon, though saying that I was surprised at the length of time I'm signed off.
Racing Roadkill, the aftercare information specifically mentions static bikes as a good way to recover, don't worry I won't be doing anything silly.

vickster

Legendary Member
I had 3 weeks off after my left knee lateral menisectomy. Only 7 days in February due to employer and change and much less favourable sick day terms.

I saw my physio a week post op, she had me on the exercise bike and then I used it from then on. I think I waited until I saw the surgeon at week 3 before going on the road. Albeit short and flat. You'll know when you are ready I expect

berty bassett

Legendary Member
ive just had this done - was told there was bits missing , bits worn and a bit torn also artheritis in joint so sitting here beginning of week 2 getting really bored . i am a builder and been told to lay off lifting for 6 weeks - hopefully going back on light duties next week - i just wanted to ask others if it felt as though it was worth it at the end ? it still hurts when i initially stand up but guessing that might be old artheritis still , but i have noticed that the grinding noise has gone - what must be a bonus - unless i have gone deaf !

Mrs M

Guru
ive just had this done - was told there was bits missing , bits worn and a bit torn also artheritis in joint so sitting here beginning of week 2 getting really bored . i am a builder and been told to lay off lifting for 6 weeks - hopefully going back on light duties next week - i just wanted to ask others if it felt as though it was worth it at the end ? it still hurts when i initially stand up but guessing that might be old artheritis still , but i have noticed that the grinding noise has gone - what must be a bonus - unless i have gone deaf !
Not had my knee done but lower back and pelvis plated, worth it in the end IMO.
Hope this helps you :smile:.
Wishing you a speedy and good recovery :bicycle:.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ice, elevation for swelling. Physio exercises at least 3x a day to reduce swelling and get back range of motion. Do not support the knee itself with a pillow, only lower calf and ankle

The knee has been traumatised even though the holes are little. Probably a good 3 months or more to recover

Read some good books to alleviate the boredom

Once the stitches are out you should be able to swim. Assuming full rom should be able to spin on a turbo or exercise bike at 2 weeks but check with physio if in doubt

berty bassett

Legendary Member
3 MONTHS !!!! :eek: gonna start an extension a week on thurs ! and skiing in jan .... guess purple pills are going to take some hammer ! tried turbo today and decided to give up till stitches out - on the plus side - i have read a bloody good book called the shipping news about a bloke named quoyle in newfoundland - unlike any book ive ever read 9/10

vickster

Legendary Member
You've had surgery, you need to recover

Ask the surgeon about the skiing but you need to make sure your legs are as strong as possible. I'd pay to see a private sports physio to get the right rehab programme

Globalti

Legendary Member
3 MONTHS !!!! :eek: gonna start an extension a week on thurs ! and skiing in jan .... guess purple pills are going to take some hammer ! tried turbo today and decided to give up till stitches out - on the plus side - i have read a bloody good book called the shipping news about a bloke named quoyle in newfoundland - unlike any book ive ever read 9/10

Good book. Very quickly off the top of my head.... if you enjoyed that you'll probably also enjoy Cold Mountain and Snow Falling on Cedars.

Top Bottom