Knocked a cyclist off their bike? No problem...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
“and they said there will not be any charges pressed on the driver as it was a lapse of concentration”

Based on how cosmologists talk about stuff not fully understood, I think this could be called "dark justice".

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
What a strange incident.

Looks to me like a classic blind spot collision.

Most modern cars have thick windscreen pillars for safety.

The cyclist would have been obscured for a few metres from the view of a driver sitting still.

Women drivers tend to sit further forward due to generally being shorter than men.

Thus their eyes are closer to the pillar, increasing the blind spot effect.

None of which in any excuses what was a dreadful piece of driving.

“and they said there will not be any charges pressed on the driver as it was a lapse of concentration”

Based on how cosmologists talk about stuff not fully understood, I think this could be called "dark justice".

She has been cautioned, which means she must have admitted careless driving.

Plenty of justified criticism of the police for cautioning offenders of all types of criminal behaviour who a reasonable person would say should be prosecuted.

To a point the tail is wagging the dog, the courts are already clogged and the CPS is creaking under the strain.

Cost comes into it, a prosecution is many times more expensive than a prosecution.

None of that has anything to do with 'justice', but it explains why there is pressure on the police to dispose of cases by cautioning rather than prosecuting.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/q562.htm

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It must have been a pretty big blind spot for her to not see the car directly in front of her waiting for the cyclist to pass before turning in. I can understand being dozy enough to not see the cyclist, but to miss 2 tonnes of metal directly in front is very odd.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Not if she was waved out by other car. It happens very regularly outside my shop. There have been several crashes because of it.

Very likely.

There's no evidence to suggest she did not see the stopped car, and while it's hard to tell from the camera angle I suspect she planned to make a right turn, passing in front of the stopped car.

If I'm riding towards a car waiting to come out of a side road, I will sometimes move left and right a bit to improve the driver's chances of seeing me.

Although it's not always safe to do that if there's traffic close behind.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I must say, those big pillars can obscure a whole car if you get the trajectory and speed right. I once nearly hit a land Rover discovery on a roundabout. I did not see it :ohmy:

Only ever happened once. Other than that ice never had an accident or close call in the car.

I agree roundabouts can be dodgy from that point of view.

If I'm in the outside lane - nearest the central island - it can be quite hard to track the kerb because it's obscured by the pillar.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Blimey - you lot scare me. Look at the video again. Do you really think that the car waiting to turn would have waved out another car that was 5 seconds away from the junction. Do you also not think that the person approaching the junction would not at least come to a virtual stop?

Did the driver exit the car at any point? Knock someone over and just sit there hoping it all goes away.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Blimey - you lot scare me. Look at the video again. Do you really think that the car waiting to turn would have waved out another car that was 5 seconds away from the junction. Do you also not think that the person approaching the junction would not at least come to a virtual stop?

The video I can see shows the car waiting to turn is stopped.

It shows numpty driver approach the junction, brake to an almost stop - the nose of her car dips - then she moves forward clouting the cyclist.

Fair to assume she moved because - probably unaware of the cyclist - she thought it safe to execute the turn.

Alternatively, she might have been aware of the cyclist and thought she could beat the bike across the junction.

We will never know why she thought it safe to pull forward, but a signal from the driver of the stopped car is as good an explanation as any.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
We will never know why she thought it safe to pull forward, but a signal from the driver of the stopped car is as good an explanation as any.

Can you honestly think that a driver would wave another forward who is 5 seconds away from the junction? Maybe I am selfish, I would let out a driver who had been waiting there a long time, but certainly not one 50-100m up the road.

Maybe you have it right, perhaps the mini driver really hates cyclists and tried to engineer the accident.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Maybe you have it right, perhaps the mini driver really hates cyclists and tried to engineer the accident.

Needlessly sarcastic, but certainly in tune with the forum ethos of late.

Perhaps we can agree that numpty driver - for whatever reason - thought she could make her turn without hitting anything.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people

Most modern cars have thick windscreen pillars for safety.

The cyclist would have been obscured for a few metres from the view of a driver sitting still.

Women drivers tend to sit further forward due to generally being shorter than men.

Thus their eyes are closer to the pillar, increasing the blind spot effect.

None of which in any excuses what was a dreadful piece of driving.

She has been cautioned, which means she must have admitted careless driving.

Plenty of justified criticism of the police for cautioning offenders of all types of criminal behaviour who a reasonable person would say should be prosecuted.

To a point the tail is wagging the dog, the courts are already clogged and the CPS is creaking under the strain.

Cost comes into it, a prosecution is many times more expensive than a prosecution.

None of that has anything to do with 'justice', but it explains why there is pressure on the police to dispose of cases by cautioning rather than prosecuting.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/q562.htm
I meant strange in a way the the driver seems to just get off with a caution.
It seems that no seriousness is attached to the situation atall by the police.

Top Bottom