Know anything about LCD backlights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dudi

The backlight on my LG 26LC2R telly box has developed a fault and I'm trying to figure it out, so if anyone has any know-how, your help would be appreciated.

When I switch the telly on, the screen is fine for about a second, then it goes blank - the backlight has switched off and the picture is not visible.
If I hold a torch up to the screen I can see that the picture is still there, it's just not illuminated. the audio is fine, and the backlight works for a second very time I switch it on - no matter how long I leave it.

from this I am guessing that it's not the light itself, but a power supply problem. and the fact that it works OK for a second leads me to think it's also not a fuse problem.

Could it be a capacitor that's not discharging as it should be? or might it be something overheating?

I'm fairly capable of fixing the problem (I think... as i'm pretty handy with a soldering iron), but I am having a mare of a time diagnosing it in the first place!

Any suggestions on what to look for would be a great help. I would like to repair it as the picture quality on this TV is amazing, when it works!

** it's not unter warranty any more, and I haven't called out a TVrepair dude yet as they cost a fortune!

Carwash

Señor Member
I had the same problem with a laptop screen a few years ago. I just took it to be repaired, but I think it was just a loose connection somewhere. Sorry not to be more helpful!

simonali

Guru
Aren't LCD backlights like fluorescent tubes? There could be a problem with an ignition circuit that fires it up or the flicker you see might be the starting circuit going and not lighting a dud tube?

This is all guesswork btw!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It'll be the inverter or something annoying the inverter. It's not necessarily that hard to repair but you will need to the tv to bits.

Top Bottom