Lake Balaton Hungary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary r

Guru
looking to go to Lake Balaton Hungary for a couple of weeks in the summer with the family (kids are 8 & 5) anyone been there?? Can anyone recommend a good family hotel?? local areas to visit etc etc??

Globalti

Legendary Member
Depending on when you go, expect it to be pretty crowded as it's Hungary's major inland "sea". Can't recommend a hotel but if you're serious I will ask my agent. It will also be pretty warm and humid as Hungary is flat and low.

The wines are good around there if you avoid the Tokai.

Why don't you spend a week in Balaton then move on to Budapest? It's a fantastic city with masses to see and do, a great quality of life and loads of nice restaurants and shops. If you are feeling rich I would recommend you stay at the magnificent Gellert Hotel and even if you don't stay there you've got to visit the baths behind the hotel, the kids will love it.

I'm overseas myself this week on business but if you'd like to chat some more send me a PM or better, email me on reedy at orchardhouse dot fsworld dot co dot uk

Can't guarantee an immediate reply though - maybe next weekend whe I get home.

killiekosmos

Veteran
Sorry to interrupt with a question. Can you fly into Balaton directly from UK or do you need to go via Budapest? (My sister has just bought some property there and I'm planning how to visit.) Apparently there is a cyclepath all the way round the lake (93 miles).

OP
OP
G

gary r

Guru
killiekosmos said:
Sorry to interrupt with a question. Can you fly into Balaton directly from UK or do you need to go via Budapest? (My sister has just bought some property there and I'm planning how to visit.) Apparently there is a cyclepath all the way round the lake (93 miles).

There is an airport close by to the lake,i think its an old military base?? Ive been told that ryan air fly there,if thats any help!!!

Bodhbh

Guru
Ryanair fly there, but not sure they do direct from Stansted (other option is flying to Bratislava which is close). I'm off there touring at the end of the week, I might have some input in a few weeks. From what I read at least the north shore is more of the nature lover, hilly and less developed, while the south is more bars, beaches, nightlife, etc. Could try asking on the touring forums, some people seem to know the area.

U

User482

It will be busy and full of Germans. You may think this is a good, or a bad thing, but forewarned is forearmed!

I second the recommendations for visiting Budapest, and Hungarian white wine.

Top Bottom