Lakes route suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Not all that familiar with the lakes (though did a sportive there a few years back, and been 'through' some of it on C2C, but...
Will be in Lakes over easter, looking for circular that does the following:
Start in Keswick
Take in Hardknott and Wrynose and Kirkstone.
Distance up to about 65 miles, I guess...
Will (hopefully) be fit, and on a decent roadie with reasonable gearing.

Any suggestions?
Anyone wanna join me and show me round?
Is this post in the right section... (if not, mods please fell free to move it)

Thanks, in anticipation.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I don't think it's possible to get that in 65 miles. I just worked out as direct a route as I can think of (Whinlatter, Fangs Brow, Croasdale, Cold Fell, Gosforth, Irton Pike, Hardknott, Wrynose, Ablesdie, Glenridding, Threlkeld, Keswick and it was just under 80 miles. Lumpy too (9000 ft climb!)

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Okey doke, thanks McShroom.... I'm open to other ideas too, and could stretch to 70....
I''d need to start from keswick... have done Newlands, Whinlatter and Honister (on the sportive I mentioned) each from both directions. Keen to try The Struggle/Kirkstone
Just being lazy here, but also seeking sage advice from those who know.
I'm also aware traffic likely to be heavy Easter weekend
Many thanks :okay:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Just plan the passes you want and join them up - there aren't that many roads to choose from!
It's about 70 miles if you do Whinlatter --> Eskdale, Hardknott, Wrynose, Ambleside, then up the A591 over Dunmail Raise back to Keswick. Going over Dunmail Raise should be pretty quiet at the moment - traffic wise - that's where Desmond washed part of the road away, and it has been mended to be passable for bikes, peds and buses, but as far as I know no cars allowed yet. If you do that, still worth taking the minor road to the west side of Thirlmere - prettier.
upload_2016-2-9_21-54-10.png

As an alternative, less lumpy (but still lumpy) from Keswick, try going down beside Derwentwater, over Honister Pass, round towards Cockermouth, then north around Skiddaw (the Uldale, Caldbeck, Hesket Newmarket bit below), then round to Greystoke (pop in to the cycle cafe if it's open, tea machine and biscuits in the barn if it's not) then back. My lazy map below shows the route on the A66, but there are minor roads either side that are nicer. As shown, its about 66 miles, a little longer if you avoid the A66 (well worth avoiding!) and about 5500 ft of ascent.
upload_2016-2-9_21-57-0.png

OK - I was still composing this post when you said you'd done Honister, but here is 70 miles that includes the struggle and a wander round the back of Skiddaw. Nothing as lumpy in the north as in the main bit of the Lakes, but the roads are quieter. Bikehike says 6500 ft ascent.
upload_2016-2-9_22-3-26.png

Bother, I've just noticed that goes down to Windermere, not up the struggle from Ambleside, so knock a few miles off the 70 for that!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
It's the struggle that's adding the extra distance unfortunately. Dunmail raise would be a better bet over the A591. I'm hoping the new bus link past the washed out section allows bikes, as then you (and I if I head there before May) would get relatively little traffic on there as the road is closed. Turning left at Ambleside and heading over Dunmail Raise brings the route down to 70 miles and 7500ft climbing

Edit - Cross post with Spinney

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I like the Caldbeck common idea, though I need to check which bridges are closed as I think there's one near Isel that's out.

Nice cafe up in Caldbeck and some lovely, relatively quiet roads. Here's a few pics from when I was up there last March
20150318_124628-PANO.jpg

20150318_135804.jpg

20150318_143623.jpg

This was the route I took. Bit short but adding on a loop into Buttermere would bump it up a bit.
https://www.strava.com/activities/270239162

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
It's the struggle that's adding the extra distance unfortunately. Dunmail raise would be a better bet over the A591. I'm hoping the new bus link past the washed out section allows bikes, as then you (and I if I head there before May) would get relatively little traffic on there as the road is closed. Turning left at Ambleside and heading over Dunmail Raise brings the route down to 70 miles and 7500ft climbing

Edit - Cross post with Spinney

The road between Ambleside and Keswick is closed to traffic at present.I understand that school buses drop off passengers at the obstruction who the walk across a foot way to the other side.
May be possible to walk across. Worth checking with Lake District Tourist Board.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
The road between Ambleside and Keswick is closed to traffic at present.I understand that school buses drop off passengers at the obstruction who the walk across a foot way to the other side.
May be possible to walk across. Worth checking with Lake District Tourist Board.
If you do a google maps route from Ambleside to Keswick, with 'car' ticked it takes you around the A591. If you tick walking or cycling it takes you along the A591 - i.e. google, at least, thinks that road is open to pedestrians and cyclists. The Cumbria County Council highways list unhelpfully describes it as closed - but that will be aimed at motor vehicles.

This post on Grasmere Village's facebook page indicates that the temporary bridge will open this month and will be open to cyclists.
https://www.facebook.com/GrasmereVillage/posts/1690440384539081

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I think if pedestrians are allowed, if anyone objects to you cycling over it you just push the bike? Although that is just for the bridge, wouldn't want to push the bike all the way along Thirlmere! @Fnaar might need to phone Cumbria Council - or things may have become clearer by the time we get to Easter!

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
As it happens, folks, events conspired so that I was unable to make it over to the lakes at Easter, unfortunately :sad:. However, thanks very much for your suggestions, which have been duly noted for future use :smile:

Top Bottom