1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scotland : Dumfriesshire Langholm Border Raid

Discussion in 'CycleChat and Informal Rides' started by MikeW-71, 11 Aug 2013.

1. MikeW-71

MikeW-71 Senior Member

The CC Ecosse Border Raid.

Thursday 5th September
    Total mileage: 54 miles

We meet up in the very pleasant border town of Langholm, the Muckle Toon, where there is ample free parking for us by the river ready to set out on a two-part tour of the Borderland.

There is not a lot of flat ground on this ride, but the majority of climbs are long drags rather than very steep. The second half sees some short steep climbs but the final climb is the real kicker.

Right from the start we start climbing, heading up the "Baw Buster" that takes us past Westerkirk and rises steadily for the first 10 miles, topping out at 750ft. Once on the top it tends to head downwards until we turn left at Paddockhole. We bump along a bit and then take on the Calisterhall climb, reaching the 760ft summit at the 20 mile point. Then we have 5 miles of downhill back to Langholm and lunch.

After lunch and a refill of water bottles, we take on the tougher 2nd part. Heading to Claygate, we encounter some sharper climbs before crossing the border into England to make the most of quiet undulating roads, with more short sharp climbs, passing through Church Newcastleton and Kershopefoot. We then cross back into Scotland and head to Newcastleton and another opportunity for food and water.

Now comes the big one. Two climbs and two descents await us. The first climb takes us up to 1120ft over the first 4 miles, then you won't need to pedal at all for the next 2 miles. The second of the climbs comes in two parts, the first is the tougher one, then it flattens out for a bit before a longer drag up to the top, passing the Hugh McDairmid monument where we can coast the remaining 2 miles back to Langholm.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2997818

Normal rules apply:
    • Any bike will do
    • Nobody gets left behind
    • There will be cake! :hungry:
    Meet up in the car park by the river at 10am, aiming to leave at 10:30am.

Confirmed Attending:
    MikeW-71
    Clockhammer

Possible Attending:
    jazloc, Brandane and clockhammer like this.
  2. clockhammer

clockhammer Well-Known Member

Advert
    Sweet, this is a good ride, there is a chocolate maker in the town of langholm, his Irn Bru chocolates are delicious.
  3. Brandane

Brandane Must have lied when I was 17....

Good, another midweek ride! Put me down on the list of "possibles" at the moment please.
    MikeW-71 likes this.
  4. Telemark

Telemark Cycling is fun ...

That looks fabulous!
    :sad: unfortunately no can do ...

T
  5. MikeW-71

MikeW-71 Senior Member

I can repeat it on a saturday if there is demand, but there aren't too many left. Mid October would be the latest I would do this ride. After that we need spring to roll around again.

It's a stunning ride on a sunny day though :biggrin:
  6. mcshroom

mcshroom Solar Powered Mushroom

Sounds like a good ride, but unfortunately weekdays are out. It's always annoying when work gets in the way of life isn't it.
    Pat "5mph", DonnaHegarty and MikeW-71 like this.
  7. Col5632

Col5632 Über Member

Would love to come but weekdays are a no go for me :cry:
  8. MikeW-71

MikeW-71 Senior Member

On the bright side, that's at least 2 guys up for a saturday repeat ;)

After todays visit to the LBS, I will have a new toy to play with, got a great deal on a Defy Advanced 2. That's the bonus blown before I even got paid it :laugh: I didn't expect to be able to afford one of those!
    clockhammer, GBC and Brandane like this.
  9. Fubar

Fubar Über Member

On a THURSDAY!?!?! Jeez, don't any of you work?? I'd be up for a Saturday repeat, dates permitting.
    Col5632 and GBC like this.
  10. MikeW-71

MikeW-71 Senior Member

I'm on holiday at the mo :smile:

Working in retail does have some advantages, I get to do food shopping mid week when it's quiet etc.

26th October is one definate date for a saturday repeat, an earlier one is a possibility, but I need to be sure I can get the day off.
  11. Col5632

Col5632 Über Member

26th October works for me :thumbsup:
  12. Brandane

*COUGH!* Some of us work at weekends to provide you weekday desk jockeys with transport, security, bar staff, shops, Police, waiters, hospitals, fire brigade, cinemas, kebabs, cleaners of pavement-puke, etc. etc.... :thumbsup:
    Pat "5mph" and Fubar like this.
  13. Fubar

Fubar Über Member

Fairy nuff - I used to be on-call and occasionally work weekends as well so I know it's no picnic, hated it!

EDIT: and worked Christmas Day last year to provide an OOH GP service!
    Brandane likes this.
  14. MikeW-71

MikeW-71 Senior Member

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  15. jazloc

jazloc Über Member

Yeah, I might be able to make this one!
  16. mcshroom

mcshroom Solar Powered Mushroom

Ooh I think I could make the 26th October :smile:
    MikeW-71 likes this.
  17. MikeW-71

MikeW-71 Senior Member

Only a few days to go for the thursday 5th run, any more interested?

Oct 26th is still on too. It's the last day before the clocks go back, which is handy. I'll post a thread for it after thursday.

Confirmed Attending:
    MikeW-71
    Clockhammer

Possible Attending:
    Brandane
    Jazloc
    Col5632 likes this.
  18. MikeW-71

MikeW-71 Senior Member

Clockhammer and I are doing the route on the 5th, anyone else is welcome. Then it will be run again on Sat 26th October.
    Fubar likes this.
  19. jazloc

jazloc Über Member

I think I'm doing Pedal for Scotland on the 8th so I can't really afford the trains and stuff for this one
  20. Brandane

I'm having a crazy notion to cycle to the start for this. Largs to Moffat on Tuesday; Moffat to Langholm on Wednesday. Do the ride Thursday, and get the train home from Lockerbie on Friday! :smile:

This will be very much dependent on my back holding out at work tomorrow, so I am still a "maybe".
    Last edited: 1 Sep 2013
    Col5632, Fubar and MikeW-71 like this.