Laser Printers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I use a HP Laserjet 5P I bought for £50 years ago. OK for everything except colour & pictures. Toner cartridges last years but are not cheap. I have it running on the network with an HP network printer unit.

Never ever use a domestic vacuum cleaner to suck up toner and never ever wash anything with toner on in hot water. 1. Because toner will pass through the filters & 2. because it will melt the toner onto what it is on.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
For b/w there's absolutely no comparison. Laser is way better. Better quality, faster, and much much cheaper. Having said that, the one in the link , being recent, hasn't yet produced loads of cheap toners. The cheapest I can find on ebay is £40, and that's not original. As against the £6 or so I pay for cartridges for my old HP. If it were me, I would cancel that order, and look for any old HP or Brother laser on ebay. They're cheap as chips, and unless you're really unlucky, they last for ever. And they cost next to nothing to run.

Keith Oates

Janner
When I was working in London (a long time ago) we decided to buy a laser printer for the office and so went to Tottenham Court Road and was looking in one of the electrical goods shop. Another person was also trying to buy a laser printer and asked the shop assistant how they work, he replied it was done by a controlled burning of the paper. Needless to say we went to another shop to buy a laser printer.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I am going to go for one too. I hate printers so much. It is a loathing that runs deep and has ended up with the printer (usually complete with brand new cartridges fitted that it refuses to acknowledge) sailing down the garden propelled either by my work boot or a sledge hammer used as a golf club. Kodak printers fly the best despite the rubble sack I put them in pre launch.
That cat voice over on YouTube happens a lot in our house! Please report back!

...we've got a HP Laserjet 1010, which is now around 10 years old, still going strong. New toner every couple of years or so, and on its 3rd imaging drum thingy, but good reliable device I must say. Colour/inkjets would be a heap of hassle, what with the climate here as well. People here who do go for colour often get an external tank set-up for the ink, sod paying silly money for propriety catridges eh. Not sure if they're less prone to drying out though, but the ink quality varies. Had some pics done on one a while back, faded badly in couple of weeks!

I'm sure if I went down the colour/inkjet route, the printer would be mocking me anytime I went near it, bit like the wife's sewing machine - that thing hates me...........

I run a Brother Laser printer for work which does about 100-200 pages a week.

This has (and most are the same) an ink cartridge and a drum.

Both have an auto management on them and the printer tells you to replace them far too often.

Youtube will have a guide for your model on how to re-set the cartridge warning. You will probably get double the life out of the thing even before it needs to be refilled.

You can also on most add ink powder (but do not over fill it only put in about an egg cup full).

Non- original ones from ebay seem fine and work OK when you do replace it.

The drum can be cleaned up now and again but will wear out. Again non original seems fine.

With above measures I probably am running it for about £20 per 1,000 copies on ink and consumables (+ paper)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
If you have the deskspace, these are legendary:

download.jpg

Laserjet 4m Plus. They're like the top end Mercedes of the printer world. Excellent printing quality, utterly reliable, last for ever, cheap to 'feed', and the only thing other than cockroaches that would survive a nuclear explosion. Like I say, they're not compact (tho' not massive either), but if you want a b/w printer for life, you really can't go wrong with one of these.

I have a cheap Samsung - print quality is good - Ive got out of the habit of printing anything at all - pdf on a tablet for things I need to refer to - generally use it for worksheets that I want to survive for 8hours outdoors - If Im really keen I have a small stock of waterproof paper

I'm running a Brother HL2135W http://www.brother.co.uk/printers/mono-laser-printers/hl2135w
Bought for £40 IIRC. Wireless printing from anywhere in the house.
Excellent print quality and cheap to run.

machew

Veteran
When I was working in London (a long time ago) we decided to buy a laser printer for the office and so went to Tottenham Court Road and was looking in one of the electrical goods shop. Another person was also trying to buy a laser printer and asked the shop assistant how they work, he replied it was done by a controlled burning of the paper. Needless to say we went to another shop to buy a laser printer.
Maybe he was thinking of this

machew

Veteran
If you have the deskspace, these are legendary:

View attachment 101747
Laserjet 4m Plus. They're like the top end Mercedes of the printer world. Excellent printing quality, utterly reliable, last for ever, cheap to 'feed', and the only thing other than cockroaches that would survive a nuclear explosion. Like I say, they're not compact (tho' not massive either), but if you want a b/w printer for life, you really can't go wrong with one of these.
Back in the day, I dropped one on my foot. Fortunately I was wearing steel toe capped boots.
No damage to the printer

Top Bottom