Late ferry out of Dieppe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrdini

So - I have a very late ferry out of Dieppe (00:45am) the following week.
Aside from dinner somewhere along the harbour (any recommendations?), any suggestions for how I can kill some of the time until the ferry? I wouldn't be staying the prior night, so probably don't really have anywhere to stash a bike (& panniers) for several hours - and I don't remember there being very much at the ferry port/waiting room, nor lockers at the train station.

Thanks in advance!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
0045? Are you sure about that? The overnight sailing to Newhaven goes at midnight (well, 2359) & check-in from ten, no later than 2314. No recommendations for dinner along the harbour, but on my last visit I ate at the Flunch chain restaurant in the Auchan hypermarket complex just out of town (a mere 15 minutes downhill from the terminal). What time are you getting in to town?

OP
OP
M

Mrdini

Yep. Keep in mind ferry crossings do change slightly depending on tide times.

No particular arrival time in mind, probably early evening? (Would be staying in Rouen night before, haven't decided yet if I'd cycle direct from Rouen-Dieppe or take the train to Serquex & pick up the Avenue Verte from there for an easy day before a very late ferry. Probably decide on the day, I guess)

StuAff

Yep. Keep in mind ferry crossings do change slightly depending on tide times.

No particular arrival time in mind, probably early evening? (Would be staying in Rouen night before, haven't decided yet if I'd cycle direct from Rouen-Dieppe or take the train to Serquex & pick up the Avenue Verte from there for an easy day before a very late ferry. Probably decide on the day, I guess)

Rouen's a fairly easy ride (passed through en route from Dieppe to Evreux a few weeks back)

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mrdini

St Valery-en-Caux looks pretty! I'd need to watch the times carefully though - I'm not altogether keen on riding after sunset, bike light or not... (although if EV4 is easy/very well signposted.....). So would rather be in Dieppe by 9pm after leaving Rouen... Does seem doable according to cycle.travel however, hmm.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I caught same ferry in 2018 - 11pm departure if I recall.

Dieppe is quite pretty and it’s easy to pass a few hours until ferry. There are several eateries along the waterfront, and several more in the side streets where I presume the locals eat. You are spoilt for choice.

I didn’t leave the bike anywhere, but rode around to do some sightseeing. At the ferry ticket office there is a seated waiting area with clean toilets.

Edit: take some warm clothes for Newhaven. I had about 4 hours to wait at Newhaven between ferry and train to London. It was a Sunday mind. The sea breeze was very cold.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mrdini

Yeah- I've ate in & departed Dieppe in the past. This is a later ferry than usual though (00:45 is not a typo! ^_^ Check Weds 30th Aug) hence pondering how I can best kill the time given everything will likely be shut by 10pm.

Noted re. Newhaven - I live in Brighton so am aware of the seaside weather! On the upside, the later ferry time means less waiting for the train.

StuAff

Yeah- I've ate in & departed Dieppe in the past. This is a later ferry than usual though (00:45 is not a typo! ^_^ Check Weds 30th Aug) hence pondering how I can best kill the time given everything will likely be shut by 10pm.

Noted re. Newhaven - I live in Brighton so am aware of the seaside weather! On the upside, the later ferry time means less waiting for the train.
I have. According to https://www.dfds.com/en-gb/passenger-ferries/ferry-crossings/ferries-to-france/newhaven-dieppe It's 2314 final check-in for 2359 departure. I'd double-check with them if I were you…

Top Bottom