Leeds and Liverpool Canal Charity Ride!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hop3y

Padiham Commuter
I've been wanting to do something like this since I got my bike, finally got the dates down and the team together. I'm the most 'experienced' when it comes to riding my bike but I think it will be a long day (or two!)

Has anyone ridden the Leeds to Liverpool canal in its entirety? I live right next to it and do most of my riding on there but the furthest I get is Skipton one was and Clayton Le Moors the other.

So tips please? What will I need? I have my CamelBak and the ordinary stuff, but you experienced people will know more than me. We're doing it for Cancer Research, don't expect you to, but if you want to donate a couple of quid the page is here.
biggrin.gif

Thanks
Adam

corshamjim

I've boated along some of it! There's some really lovely scenery along the way. I hope you have a great time.

I sometimes ride along stretches of my local canal - the K&A. If you're only used to riding on the road, be sure to get some training in along the tow-path as the surface can be rough and therefore a bit punishing on the bottom! :blush: (later edit - d'oh you did say you ride mostly on the canal)

OP
OP
Hop3y

Hop3y

Padiham Commuter
I've boated along some of it! There's some really lovely scenery along the way. I hope you have a great time.

I sometimes ride along stretches of my local canal - the K&A. If you're only used to riding on the road, be sure to get some training in along the tow-path as the surface can be rough and therefore a bit punishing on the bottom! :blush: (later edit - d'oh you did say you ride mostly on the canal)

I can't thank you enough for the donation! Thanks pal!

I can't wait now, gonna dive on the bike (and not in the canal) at every possible opportunity now!
biggrin.gif

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The canal is 141 miles long. That's one long day ride on less than perfect surfaces. There's a decent map of the canal that also shows the locations of camp sites and pubs. There's a stretch or two where you will have to leave the canal e.g. for Foulridge tunnel.

Also strictly speaking, not all of the towpath is open to cyclists. According to the British Waterways literature only about 80km (50 miles) is open to cyclists. Tow paths are not rights of way and are permissive paths where declared.

The relevant documentation is here

OP
OP
Hop3y

Hop3y

Padiham Commuter
Thanks Vernon!

I live in Burnley so we're setting off from Liverpool, stopping off in Burnley overnight and then onto Leeds on day 2. My sister is there at university.

Thanks for the link.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
the canal is 127 miles and i did 90% of it (took a wrong turn). it took me 13 hours todo a total of 115 miles. i was on a brompton (folder with 16" wheels). i'm 41, big, and reasonably unfit.

i reckon on my cx bike i could do it in 10 hours.

some advice, take a map of the different branches, there are more than you think.

the going is very tough in places and there is no respite from pedaling.

good luck.

hope that helps.

shaun

OP
OP
Hop3y

Hop3y

Padiham Commuter
the canal is 127 miles and i did 90% of it (took a wrong turn). it took me 13 hours todo a total of 115 miles. i was on a brompton (folder with 16" wheels). i'm 41, big, and reasonably unfit.

i reckon on my cx bike i could do it in 10 hours.

some advice, take a map of the different branches, there are more than you think.

the going is very tough in places and there is no respite from pedaling.

good luck.

hope that helps.

shaun

Thakns Shaun!

crisscross

Our family did it a couple of years ago.

The good news - it's very flat riding! Except for the Foulridge and Blackburn tunnel bits and Wigan rises.

The bad news - if you do it after any heavy rains several sections are pretty hard going - rutted mud etc.

But it is traffic free, pretty and fun.

It took us 4 days but my children were 8 and 6 at the time and they only had rubbish bikes.

OP
OP
Hop3y

Hop3y

Padiham Commuter
We’re at our initial target of £1000, which for me is a massive achievement. I never thought of myself being the fund raiser type, but taking it in my stride!

We’ve been given T-Shirts from Pendleside Hospice so we all look smart on the day. The planning is going well and still pushing for sponsorship where possible.

http://www.justgiving.com/Adam-Hope0

c00ke5ter

<first post, hello people!>

First of all, cracking amount to raise for Cancer Research, my dad has been through the big C so muchos respect!

After a 10year cycling break, got a bike for the commute in Jan 2010. Enjoyed towpath rides to my folks (18miles away) so fancied a bigger challenge. Did LLC in August last year, booked four days of work but ended up doing it in two, 13hrs 24mins "riding time" according to the computer. Just over 16hrs total time, not including the overnight break.

I started in Leeds, which seems to fly in the face of opinion. You are cycling "into the wind" (and the tops nr Barnoldswick can be hard work) but I prefer to get the "uphill" out of the way early. (Bingley five rise is fun, though which comedian thought it fun to put a Z gate just *before* the top???!!!).
biggrin.gif

I fitted "slime" innertubes and had no punctures, they either worked or I got lucky. I stopped every 10miles for a general "stretch / take lid off / take water on" break, and grazed on waffles and home made flapjacks throughout the day. I find stopping for a long break / eating a proper "lunch" makes it hard to get going again, but you may prefer to.

Obviously, wear padded shorts, even with you will feel it for a few days! I got aches in my wrists so would advise end bars just to have somewhere to "alter position" for a while. Get a decent bell, I have a very uncool clunky one that rattles constantly, but you'll need it under the many blind bridges. Even if through gritted teeth, a cheery "GOOD MORNING!" helps alert walkers and fishermen to your presence. Make sure you take some extra lubricant for chain etc.

This is my (revised) kit list after doing it once, your mileage may vary etc...

Bike
laugh.gif

Helmet

Rucksack
Topeak Alien (or similar multitool)
Leatherman (or something with pliers for removing thorns from tyres / skin
biggrin.gif
)

Fleece
Phone
Lock
Pump (and c02 canisters if you use them, tho please don't leave empties by canalside <pet hate>)
Fingerless padded Gloves
Permit (download from waterways site)
Waterways key (£6 from waterways site, means you can use toilets etc)
Cycling glasses
Snood (those "tube" scarf things, great for keeping warm *or* protecting the back of your neck from the sun)

Puncture repair patches. (plus general repair kit)
Innertubes
Oil / lubricant.

Wicking layer T-shirt
Cycling baggy shorts
Cycling padded underwear

Loo roll (a million uses
whistling.gif
)

Antihistimines if you suffer from hayfever
Ibuprofen
Plasters / scissors?
Handwipes / sanitiser
Suntan lotion / stick

Waffles
Flapjacks
Mineral Water xLots (for "general" use)
Energy drinks (I had a couple just in case needed a "pick me up" at end of day)
Boiled sweets (something in pocket for general sugaryness)
Extra Strong Mints (keeps sinuses clear, nothing worse than riding and sniffling if you get hayfever!)

It's worth printing out maps / mile matrix etc from http://www.towpathtreks.co.uk/llc/ - very useful.

Couple of pics from last time....

Start of day two nr Church, raining but rainbow made it worthwhile!
4919830450_3117d588b4_b.jpg
Untitled by ian_cooke, on Flickr

..and my trusty steed at the end:
4919234585_98c91d9a4e_b.jpg
Untitled by ian_cooke, on Flickr

Summer solstice this year (21st June) is 17hrs of daylight, so I'm going to try it in just one day
ohmy.gif

Good Luck, and enjoy it, it's a scenic route in places.

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 69

c00ke5ter

Oh, and ensure your "support vehicle" / whoever is monitoring your progress the same maps that you have, preferably with bridge numbers so they know where you are in case of problems.

Top Bottom