Leeds to Scarborough Saturday September 24: The Yorkshire Adventure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
As an addition to the Manchester - Llandudno, not in place of

Here is the official flat route that you can download

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13665401

And here is the hiller alternative

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13704931

The Manchester - Llandudno seems fairly popular so I was thinking about another ride we could do. Basic criteria:

1) Start in a big city easy to get to
2) Finish at the seaside in a place with plenty of accommodation and decent rail links
3) All day flattish ride with the opportunity to offer a more hilly second half if some want it

Leeds - Scarborough fits the bill. Leeds is a quick, cheap train journey from Manchester. Plenty of trains from South too. Scarborough is about 80 miles of easy riding. So it's not quite as hard as the Llandudno ride. Once out of Leeds it's very rural and the route could be tricked up a bit to give a few miles of seafront riding before getting to Scarborough. Finish along the promenade a la Tour de Yorkshire

Leaving Scarborough would be easy. Trains back to Manchester or change at York and head south

Timing - I'm open minded on this and happy to be led by folk who fancy the ride. Probably some time between mid August to mid September?

It's also heading NE so a W or SW wind would help all the way

At this stage it's just an idea based on a successful format. If people say they're potentially interested I can put some route planning work in. As always folk could do bits of the ride as suits eg. Leeds to York (we would go south of York)

ps already got a really good fish and chips place sorted

pps as it's 20 miles shorter I would probably start an hour later. This would give more time to get to Leeds for those not living close by

Definite Participants
@doughnut Leeds - Scarborough, may do hilly
@Kestevan Leeds - Scarborough flat
@Buck +1 Leeds - Scarborough flat
@si_c Leeds - Scarborough, may do hilly
@ColinJ Leeds - Scarborough, may do hilly
@Moodyman Leeds - Scarborough flat
@mike3121 Crossgates - Scarborough flat
@middleagecyclist Leeds - Scarborough flat
@NorthernDave Crossgates - Scarborough flat
@DiddlyDodds Leeds - Scarborough flat
@Littgull Leeds - Scarborough, may do hilly
@Julia9054 +1 Malton - Scarborough flat
@colly Leeds - Cawood
@tommaguzzi Leeds - Scarborough

Expressions of Interest
@growingvegetables
@Uncle Phil
@EasyPeez
@Steve H

Expressed interest but now can't make it

@User13710
@StuAff
@mythste
@McWobble
@Nigel182
@DCLane
@User
@rich p
@Rohloff_Brompton_Rider
@Fab Foodie
@GravityFighter
@Slioch
@User9609
@Crackle
@busdennis
@User46386
@theclaud

Last edited:

wanda2010

Guru
I could just meet you all at the chippy. Cut out all that riding nonsense! ^_^

Aye - I'd be interested. There's considerable chunks I know pretty well; and there's bits I've done, but some time ago. Not a ride I'd do solo, but definitely interested if there's good company involved!

[And for the prospect of revisiting the Stumble Inn. Well worth it for the beers.

Better still - sitting outside on the pavement, and listening to "Scarborough's brightest and finest" walking out in disgust, and chuntering about being told there's no Carlsberg lager. Hours of fun!]

Sounds good. Commitment at that time of the year is tricky, especially August and early September but I'll keep an eye on things.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Sounds good. Commitment at that time of the year is tricky, especially August and early September but I'll keep an eye on things.

Understand. I'm thinking accommodation may be easier after school hols and CCer availability may be better too? Mid September can be really nice...don't want it too hot for the ride after all do we?

Understand. I'm thinking accommodation may be easier after school hols and CCer availability may be better too? Mid September can be really nice...don't want it too hot for the ride after all do we?
September is often quite good and after school hols which is why I'm on my annual old crusties meet in North Wales in mid September! Although this year with son1 off to Uni, I'm not sure when ferrying duties will be needed and next year son2. It's all a bit unfortunate. So right now, I couldn't commit to any date but that's just me.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I'd be up for this.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Hmmm....
Nice long bike ride, in Yorkshire, where my dearest friend, her lovely husband and lovely dogs live, and I could join en route from their place in Newton-on-Ouse.

Nope, not interested....

:okay:

PS: The aforementioned Jen suggested somewhere-or-other (not Scarborough but I can't remember where) as a possible ride destination. I'll drop her a line and ask....

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
OK....so as a number of people are interested in the ride it seems worthwhile putting a bit of effort into getting it off the ground.

Key is fixing a date. I think a Saturday works best. I'm completely flexible mid August to end September. I am aware of a Friday's tour in September and I wouldn't want to create a clash that would prevent some from giving this ride a try. So that means that Sep 10 and 17 are not great. Bank holiday weekend probably isn't good so choices are:

Aug 20
Sep 3
Sep 24
Oct 1

Appreciate any feedback re preferences and then I'll decide

Trains : Prices seem reasonable based on Advance tickets. Eg. London - Leeds (single) is £23. York - London is similar and Scarborough - York is about £8. Of course folk may prefer to come up to Manchester on the Friday, participate in a bit of carbohydrate loading and then travel Manchester - Leeds Saturday morning. That is a short, inexpensive journey

Accommodation : This is a bit more tricky. The Travelodge in Scarborough is expensive at weekends. Of course if folk book twin rooms and share it becomes sensible pricing. There are loads of B&Bs in the town so presumably one can be had for a reasonable price but it will need a bit of research to get something of reasonable quality.

I'll ping everyone who did the Llandudno ride that aren't posting on this thread in case they haven't seen the ride

@DiddlyDodds
@rich p
@doughnut
@mike3121
@theclaud
@BRounsley
@mythste
@YahudaMoon
@Katherine
@Leaway2
@Jaykun85
@Rickshaw Phil
@McWobble
@si_c

Last edited:

doughnut

Veteran
Put me down as a possible for this Nick. I'm stuck with ferrying kids to Uni around that time and also its my 25th wedding anniversary at end of August. Mrs doughnut might not appreciate celebrating by sitting in a pub with loads of sweaty cyclists - but I have a few months to talk her into it and get the kids to sort themselves out. I'm sure they will understand the priorities.

I'd potentially be interested in this, depending on what date gets the vote. I'd likely look to join you somewhere between Stamford Bridge and Fridaythorpe though if poss, rather than get the train to Leeds. Cheers.

Top Bottom