Leeds to Scarborough Saturday September 24: The Yorkshire Adventure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Who is this Principal Nick of whom you speak?

:okay:

P1070169.JPG

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Looks like a plan, depending on many things I would most probably be a ride half way then back to Leeds, but will know better closer to the date. so put me down as a most probably.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'd be interested if I'm about on the day.

One word of warning though - the Trans-Pennine Express website states that they'll only carry 2 bikes per train AND state that you need reservations for each bike. I know people who've got away with not reserving a place, but it's worth bearing in mind. That said, there are some very cheap fares Scarborough - Leeds if you book in advance.

mike3121

sounds good to me especially if its September, I was looking for somewhere to go for a short break in September so this ride could fit in nicely

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
So it looks like there is enough preliminary interest to get this off the ground.

Bearing in mind that folk like @doughnut and @Crackle seem to have prior engagements early in September I think we should make it September 24. This of course puts them under heavy moral obligation to do the ride too so winner, winner.....

I'll run it in the usual way; set up an "Expressions of Interest" in post #1. I've got some routing ideas already but I see some locals have offered input so I will get in touch with them to see what favourite routes they have. The tricky bit will be finding a decent route out of Leeds (we got that nice one out of Manchester from a local CCer). I'm probably going to offer two options; 80 miles flat like the flat Llandudno ride and a bit longer detouring into the bottom bit of the N Yorkshire Moors for those who fancy a more challenging second half to the ride

So tell all and sundry that we're going to Scarborough Fair on Saturday September 24. Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme flavoured beer may be available....or may not. Fish and Chips definitely on the menu. Here's a little taster; I did a ride to Scarborough last year

d8BmamiCV0pyv3tI_-gu87iGffR6SomDnA7UPRfK3Nk-768x432.jpg

Sorry @nickyboy I deffo can't make that date and after some thought and pricing up, I reluctantly don't think I can do it in September anyhow. My pocketmoney is all used up on my other trip as I normally need to hire a car and generally over indulge. So I think I'm out but I shall keep an eye on things.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Sorry @nickyboy I deffo can't make that date and after some thought and pricing up, I reluctantly don't think I can do it in September anyhow. My pocketmoney is all used up on my other trip as I normally need to hire a car and generally over indulge. So I think I'm out but I shall keep an eye on things.

Pah!

Whatever happened to "moral obligation"? I was relying on you Pied Piper a large chunk of the Llandudno reprobates

I can tell you how to get out of Leeds so dont worry about that.
Could always make it a CC community road-test of the Cycle Super Highway? ------------- No, folks. Forget that. No way it's worth starting the day with splenetic assessments of the "interesting" bits. :laugh:

[Edited - there's a couple of threads (here, for example) where ideas for routes have been bounced around.]

Last edited:

doughnut

Veteran
I'm in for the 24th Sept. Its in the calendar already.

I'll have been married for more than 25 years by then, so I'll be drinking heavily.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I can tell you how to get out of Leeds so dont worry about that.

Could always make it a CC community road-test of the Cycle Super Highway? ------------- No, folks. Forget that. No way it's worth starting the day with splenetic assessments of the "interesting" bits. :laugh:

[Edited - there's a couple of threads (here, for example) where ideas for routes have been bounced around.]

Using the CSH might be a great idea - after that the rest of the journey will seem like a dream! :laugh:

Agreed though, I've cycled East Leeds to York a lot and there are some good, quiet and scenic roads away from the dreaded A64.

Pah!

Whatever happened to "moral obligation"? I was relying on you Pied Piper a large chunk of the Llandudno reprobates
Actually I got my dates wrong (I think), not unusual for me and I am free, so keep me on the slim chance list. Unless I can sell this to Mrs C, two indulgent wknds on the trot might be pushing things unless I've missed the other wknd due to ferrying in which case my argument is strong, so I'm a possible.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

Thanks. The general idea of a route is like this:

1) Leave Leeds train station and get the nicest route out to Thorner
2) Skirt the N of York and cross the Ouse at Nether Poppleton (not going into York as it is rammed on a Saturday)
3) Thread a flattish route between Howardian Hills and the Wolds
4) Along the Derwent Valley trying to use little lanes but may have to use the A170 a bit
5) Hit the coast a few miles S of Scarborough and I think there is a Filey-Scarborough bike path we can use

At some point there will be a hillier route option, probably from Snainton into the N Yorks Moors for a bit of climbing fun for those who fancy it

On the Sunday folk could have a coastal ride if they fancied it. Or do some N Yorks Moors stuff. Or lie in bed and consider the questionable drinking decisions they made the previous evening

Top Bottom