Left turning lorries -Write to your MP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I may be accused of "victim blaming", but in IMVVHO, there are some places that a cyclist does not want to be if they wish to extend their longevity. Anywhere near a large vehicle at a junction is one of them, I think. Personally, I'm not interested in "asserting my rights as an equally entitled road-user". Forget that vanity....stay alive.

subaqua

What’s the point
Raise the HGV test to above that of degree level and get some educated decent human beings behind the wheels instead of aggressive riff raff. Lorry drivers are arrogant, ignorant and irresponsible for the most part. Stop recruiting from the football terraces.

Ahh stereotypes . wonderful though they are, they just don't fit the majority of todays proffesional drivers. just as all cyclists are not lycra wearing red l;ight jumping pavement riders.

when you have something constructive to say then feel free to join in .

adding a section onto the test and the CPD , for cycle awareness would be a start. but you don't have to be degree level to pass that.

Oh and 3 of the nuttiest hooligans i ever knew were degreee educated at a redbrick Uni. break your nose/legs as soon as look at you. but didn't look like hooligans.

I may be accused of "victim blaming", but in IMVVHO, there are some places that a cyclist does not want to be if they wish to extend their longevity. Anywhere near a large vehicle at a junction is one of them, I think. Personally, I'm not interested in "asserting my rights as an equally entitled road-user". Forget that vanity....stay alive.

very true. rather be a few minutes late for work/whatever than early for my own funeral. and to be homnest sometimes the legs are glad of the extra few seconds ;)

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
Raise the HGV test to above that of degree level and get some educated decent human beings behind the wheels instead of aggressive riff raff. Lorry drivers are arrogant, ignorant and irresponsible for the most part. Stop recruiting from the football terraces.
The only problem with this is I am not academically minded and would struggle to pass any tests set to this level, but I consider myself a considerate driver and do not lose my temper easily,
plus I love my job and wouldn't want to do anything else
smileys-car-driving-296195.gif

JackJoff

Regular
I think a bit of self-preservation is called for.

If you get to the junction first, then put yourself in a very strong primary position, so that no-one (car, truck, bus etc) can pull alongside your rhs.

If there are already vehicles stopped at the junction, irrespective of what type of vehicle it might be, DON'T feel tempted to cycle up the inside, even if there is a cycle filter lane and an ASL. You have no idea what frame of mind the driver at the front of the queue is in: he might be half asleep, on the phone, in a tearing hurry to get his load dropped off. Better to be safe than sorry. Stay in the traffic lane, in primary, and wait your turn. You're better off behind a truck, than in front of it.

That's not to say I don't fully support the concerns in this thread, and I will be writing to my MP. But it will take ages for anything to happen, and in the meantime I want to stay safe.
I agree, there's a lot to be said for defensive cycling imo. http://cyclinginfo.co.uk/blog/245/commuting/7-tips-for-defensive-cycling/

Tcr4x4

Veteran

I cant stand football..

Im a class 2 HGV driver

Im not arrogant, ignorant or irresponsible.

I dont have a degree, but I'd say Im pretty well educated. I took a theory and practical test for my car licence then another theory, hazard perception and practiical for my HGV licence. I also have ADR and CPC qualifications which I have to retake every 5 years. I'm more qualified to be on the road than most cyclists.

Maybe it would be better to have a proper cycling test that highlights the dangers of large vehicles on the road.
The amount of times I swing right to take a left turn and have some numpty comes up the left is unbelievable, this is both cyclists and cars.
Some people just dont have a clue about whats going on around them.

compo

Veteran
Perhaps it is a different world out here in the sticks but I find nearly all HGV drivers courteous and considerate wether I am driving or cycling. There are odd exceptions, but they are few and far between.

crazyjoe101

I'm not sure if I'm talking nonsense here as I've not started studying for and have not sat a driving theory test. Perhaps if it was garunteed that there would be a significant section in the exam pertaining to cyclists then drivers might be more aware of them, at least partially, upon completing the test as they would have read up on the cycling portion of the test in the knowledge that it was definitely going to be included in the test. Like I said, could be talking rubbish.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'm more qualified to be on the road than most cyclists.

I disagree.

The level of risk your class of vehicle represents to other road users means that you are subject to more controls on your use of the road.

The absence of a requirement to pass a test on a cycle is indicative of the level of risk a cyclist poses to others.

GC

MarkF

Guru
I see cyclists willingly putting themselves in danger every evening rush hour, these are (IMO) mainly commuter types rather than cycling enthusiasts, they are never going to see or seek out safety information on a cycling forum or in a magazine, or perhaps, anywhere. Maybe a simple flyer should go out with every bike and helmet sold, clearly detailing the dangers of junctions/lorries.

PS I like railings, very convenient for holding on to. :smile:

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
Was driving through LDN last nite and the amount of "commuter types" without lights and in dark cothing was shocking, all vehicles made after 2010 have to have driving lights now, this has been the norm for motorcycles since 2003, I think all push bikes used on the road should have lights on IMHO

classic33

Leg End Member
Was driving through LDN last nite and the amount of "commuter types" without lights and in dark cothing was shocking, all vehicles made after 2010 have to have driving lights now, this has been the norm for motorcycles since 2003, I think all push bikes used on the road should have lights on IMHO
There's only one real problem with that. If we can't get drivers to actually see the lights when its dark, how are we going to get them to notice them during the day?
Nenagh, County Tipperary ran a trial a few years ago now, where all vehicles had to have daylight running lights on. Very few vehicles seen with them now though.

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
There's only one real problem with that. If we can't get drivers to actually see the lights when its dark, how are we going to get them to notice them during the day?
Nenagh, County Tipperary ran a trial a few years ago now, where all vehicles had to have daylight running lights on. Very few vehicles seen with them now though.
Thing is Im one of these rare drivers that understands that we all need to use the road space, and we all want to get somewhere (alive),
it seems construction lorries/vehicles are the bullies of the road, even I have had problems with tipper lorries,
had a stand off with one on a narrow street once, obstucion was on his side and and I had started to come through, started getting verbal, I just told him I was getting paid by the hour and I will sit here all day if I have to, he soon moved :laugh:

Top Bottom