Let me ask you a question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Corona overtook Heineken as the best selling beer in America recently and the ritual of having a slice of lime in the neck was credited with taking the Mexican beer to the number one slot. How did this ritual come about?

A) Drinking beer with a wedge of lime is the way they drink it in Latin cultures as it enhances the taste.

:biggrin: It derives from an ancient Mesoamerican habit designed to combat germs since the acidity present in the lime destroys any bacterial build up on the neck of the bottle.

C) In 1981, a bartender in an un-named restaurant on a slow night popped a lime wedge into the neck of a bottle of Corona to see if he could get other patrons to do the same.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I am plumping for B but it'll probably end up being C :biggrin:

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
It's C which I found interesting as all sorts of reasons for the lime have turned up but it really is something as simple and mundane as that.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
D: A desperate and ultimatley unsuccesful attempt to mask the fizzy-piss taste of lager.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
And the answer is: Americans know fkcu all about beer.

Keith Oates

Janner
That's not strictly true, however I will agree their tastes and ours is different!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Corona is the "best selling beer in America?" What is your source of that info? Do you mean, perhaps, the best-selling import beer? I doubt that Corona sales are even HALF what Budweiser or Bud Light sales are.

Incidentally, recent test have shown that lemon and lime slices are teeming with bacteria, and few bartenders wash the rind before slicing them.

I'll agree with the comments about our watery lager beers, though! I prefer a beer that I can't see through! ;-)

Top Bottom