Lets negotiate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Has anyone noticed the latest trend among smart arse politicians, mainly Tories but some commies do it too, of pronouncing the word 'negotiate' to sound like 'neg-oh-see-ate'? BBC news readers have started doing it now and, heavens above, they've just let someone loose on Radio 4 who pronounced it the same way and I didn't hear a single gasp of horror or monocle being dropped.

We don't eat a port-see-on of chips, and women don't have ab-or-see-ons, and the British do not neg-oh-see-ate.

Stop it BBC, before I write an angry letter to Points of View. Stop it politicians, or I'll vote UKIP.

Thank you.

classic33

Leg End Member
Set Anne Robinson on them!!

winjim

Smash the cistern
In order to ingratiate myself, I may initiate a negotiation in order to differentiate and thereby circumstantiate the pronunciation of this word. I hope you wouldn't consider me licentiate because I am actually novitiate although I hope to potentiate in order to propitiate and satiate, and hence substantiate your post.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
We 'Strayans are sticklers for correct pronunciation.

robjh

Legendary Member
Has anyone noticed the latest trend among smart arse politicians, mainly Tories but some commies do it too, of pronouncing the word 'negotiate' to sound like 'neg-oh-see-ate'? BBC news readers have started doing it now and, heavens above, they've just let someone loose on Radio 4 who pronounced it the same way and I didn't hear a single gasp of horror or monocle being dropped.

We don't eat a port-see-on of chips, and women don't have ab-or-see-ons, and the British do not neg-oh-see-ate.

Stop it BBC, before I write an angry letter to Points of View. Stop it politicians, or I'll vote UKIP.

Thank you.
I take it you would expect neg--oh-she-ate or neg-oh-shate? Those are more like my pronunciation but I'm aware of the other one and I doubt it's new, just posh (for want of a better word).

And PLEASE don't carry out your last threat - nothing's worth that!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Ahem, thread title: let's not lets.

Actually, I don't have the slightest idea why a word taken from the French ''négocier'' managed to get misspelt in the first place. They must have back formed it from négotiation while ignoring (or being ignorant) of the existing verb.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Ahem, thread title: let's not lets.

Actually, I don't have the slightest idea why a word taken from the French ''négocier'' managed to get misspelt in the first place. They must have back formed it from négotiation while ignoring (or being ignorant) of the existing verb.

Perhaps because Old French was spelt differently, even variously.

Top Bottom