Lidl... the not so nice side.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
A good friend of mine has almost no vision and as a consequence has a guide dog. She's a proper guide dog, all properly trained, certified, and liveried with a harness which clearly identifies her as a guide dog. Just in case the casual observer should be completely thick my friend also wears his dark glasses and carries a white stick.

So imagine his surprise when he was ejected from Lidl at Weston Favell, Northampton, for bringing a dog into the store.

The unlawful disablist behaviour has been reported to the police. Unfortunately for the store this gent is also a local councillor, so in light of their unlawful behaviour they are going to have some explaining to do next time one of their various trading licences comes for review.

So next time you're eyeing the cheap cycling goodies in Lidl you might with to think of the way they treat disabled customers before deciding to buy.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Oh dear

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, it was an individual.

Even more disturbing is head offices lack of action over the matter. My chum is posting their rather wet letters up on FB.

They're failing to apologise, and failing to explain what action will be taken against those responsible.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Indeed they did, and head orifice are declining to apologise or explain what they intend to do to prevent a recurrence, which is perhaps more galling than the incident itself.

If I can get on a big pooter later I'll post the letters up.

Yes, it was an individual.

Even more disturbing is head offices lack of action over the matter. My chum is posting their rather wet letters up on FB.

They're failing to apologise, and failing to explain what action will be taken against those responsible.
I assume, when you say action, you mean someone mentioning to the staff that guide dogs are allowed and that's the end of the matter? I do hope you don't mean some sort of punishment?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I assume, when you say action, you mean someone mentioning to the staff that guide dogs are allowed and that's the end of the matter? I do hope you don't mean some sort of punishment?

If it were me i would expect at least an assurance that the staff member responsible had been suitably educated. A bit of "Jesus H. Christ, were ever so sorry. Don't worry, we'll see to this never happens again" would not have gone amis, and would've killed any spread of ill feeling dead.

As an aside, why should someone who has broken the law not be punished? Even more so as a vulnerable member of society suffered degrading and humiliating treatment at their hands. Ignorance of the law is no defence in any realm of unlawful endeavour. I can't see that being a bit dense/thick/ignorant is any mitigation or defence.

Yeah, lets get the police involved, that's a good use of their time. Maybe this poor sod who made a mistake should have his (?) salary deducted by a few days wages. Maybe put him on suspension for 2 weeks for an enquiry.

He made a mistake. Why didn't your friend ask for a manager as they were entitled to enter the shop or were they so mortified at someone saying no they couldn't possibly pluck up the courage to ask?

Yes, they were wrong. On the list of things that go wrong, this is pretty minor and I'm sure would have been easily rectified.

Appologies if this was done and the managers also refused entry, in which case I take it all back and agree entirely.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do they not have a sign on the door allowing guide dogs - most shops do don't they? The individual should certainly be 'retrained'

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Very good Marky. Because it's only a blind person that's the victim we should let it go, approve of Lidl doing nothing. Let them break whatever law they want, because there's no harm done really if it's a blind person being humiliated.

So where do you draw the line? What laws do you think are worthy of enforcing? Which victims do you think we should stand up for?

I'm not suggesting they go to prison or get the birch, they've broken to law and some kind of community resolution disposal leaves them without a criminal record, yet forces them to acknowledge they acted unlawfully.

Robeh

Cant see how you can tar every store with the same brush TBH.
A liitlle education to the store concened should do the trick.
My own experiance off Lidl has always been a positive one,and the staff are well trained and polite.
unlike some other big name supermarkets..................

Top Bottom