Lincolnshire Lass Saying Hello!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kitty_Lincs

Hi everyone! :biggrin:

My name is Katherine and I'm from the flatlands of southern Lincolnshire. Through major surgery last November, I've been given a new lease of life. Now I have this, I'm ready (pending final check-up from consultant) to knuckle down and fulfill all the cycling ambitions I could only dream about previously.

First thing will be finding myself a decent, affordable touring bike as my ultimate UK cycling ambition is to cycle from Land's End to John O'Groats. I don't want to do the classic Shropshire route, but to hopefully go via Bath, Central England, Leeds and as much of Yorkshire as is reasonably possible, it being my favourite county in the UK. After that, it is my aim to then cycle all the way back to my home town of Boston, entering Lincolnshire over the Humber Bridge, my favourite landmark. It is that ambition that will be my motivation along what I presume will be a considerable preparation period of many, many months.

Before that, I am going to do a lot of smaller challenges (next town from me, nearest city etc) as a build-up to the LEJOG in parallel with learning as much about cycle safety and maintenance as possible, as well as learning all the cycling-related aspects of the Highway Code and finding a couple of people to accompany me. All this would be a challenge for most people but to add further difficulties to my cycling ambitions, I have three developmental (or 'hidden') disabilities that make my life rather interesting. They are Asperger's Syndrome, Dyspraxia and Mathematical Dyslexia, also called Dyscalculia.

These conditions mean that every aspect of my life, from waking up to going to sleep is affected in some way, although physically, I look entirely normal. If you saw me walking past you on a pavement, you wouldn't know that anything was wrong.

Anyway, if I think of anything else to say, I'll add another post to this thread! Hope that I can find lots of motivation, advice and encouragement here and also that I make lots of friends!

Bye for now! :biggrin:

Welcome Kitty! The Dyspraxia society list of symptoms mentions difficulty with cross body coordination and specifically mentions the trouble which sufferers have with cycling twice in the first three sentences. Well done you. I hope you realise your ambitions.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Welcome aboard. I grew up in Lincolnshire (near Louth), not too many hills but you get your endurance from epic battles with the wind!

luplowe

Hi Kitty, i spent twenty years in n out of hospital before i got back on the bike, so get to it and enjoy, its good to have your overall goals but don't be in any real rush to get there, move up slowly through the distances, i always found doing a certain distance twice always conditioned me better for the next one.. Have Fun..

Hi from a fellow Bostonian

Hi Kitty,

Another cyclist from Boston - what is the world coming to? I started as a lad cycling from Leverton to the BGS most summer days as it was quicker than the bus! Went on to cycling around the Wolds and will always have nightmares about the 7 mile straight (Frithville to Revesby - but it's actually only 5.5 miles - as you'll know) in a headwind (common coming home!).

I came back to cycling a couple of years ago after back surgery finally got me moving again. If you are looking for a bike, try the LBS at the roundabout end of Liquorpond St (corner of the industrial estate). I've been there a few times when back in the old county and they are very helpful.

All the best.

Helly79

Hello Kitty I from Norfolk which is also quite flat but not as bad as the fens we do have some hilly parts like North Norfolk. I hope you achieve your ambition:smile:

oohpeekaboo

Hi Kitty,
My relative has Aspergers so great to see it needn't hold him back!! Good luck with your ambitions.

All the best.

Top Bottom