Listerine stains your teeth. Mildly furious to discover this

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
The weird thing is I found out from my dental hygienist - she could have warned me! I thought I was doing the right thing and wondered why my geared-up dental routine (conscientious flossing, mouthwash etc) was resulting in healthier gums but oddly stained teeth. They look a bit horrid and I am waiting to get them properly cleaned.

But why would mouthwash manufacturers put stuff in your mouthwash that stains your teeth? They're all bonkers! The kind I have been using even says it's designed not to stain but it does. I've googled around and it seems a common problem.

Anyone else had this experience?

I do realise I'm coming across here like someone in an old coat standing at the bus stop with folded arms ranting on to anyone I can trap into listening, but I'm cross.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Does it stain them blue? It might catch on.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Get an Oral B electric toothbrush with an oscillating head, they are a truly excellent device. You teeth will gleam. Get some inter-dental brushes to finish off your routine and you'll have no need to use mouthwash, which is the dental equivalent of soaking the yard with disinfectant rather than cleaning it out properly.

Oral B electric brushes are always on offer at Boots, don't pay the full price.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I hope this stuff doesn't have the same effect!

euthymol.jpg

Attachments

• euthymol.jpg
    euthymol.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 127

Brandane

Legendary Member
Get an Oral B electric toothbrush with an oscillating head, they are a truly excellent device. You teeth will gleam. Get some inter-dental brushes to finish off your routine and you'll have no need to use mouthwash, which is the dental equivalent of soaking the yard with disinfectant rather than cleaning it out properly.

Oral B electric brushes are always on offer at Boots, don't pay the full price.
+1.
Oral B electric toothbrush plus Euthymol toothpaste feels like you've been to the hygienist after brushing your teeth. Talking of which, I now decline my dentist's kind offer to scrape around my receding gums in the agonising process that she calls a "scale and polish".

byegad

Legendary Member
The stained area is plaque. Clean your teeth properly, and frequently and that does not build up, although you may need the hygienist to clean it off for you in the first place.

byegad

Legendary Member
+1.
Oral B electric toothbrush plus Euthymol toothpaste feels like you've been to the hygienist after brushing your teeth. Talking of which, I now decline my dentist's kind offer to scrape around my receding gums in the agonising process that she calls a "scale and polish".

You are risking losing teeth to that scale! Once it gets into the periodontal space the tooth gets loosened and will eventually cause pain.

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
Thanks for all the replies people! She recommended the Oral B brush so I will probably get one.

Agree you don't want a scale and polish - it's whatever the posh ultrasound version is at my dentist's.

And yes, HARRUMPH.

By the way, I was with the same dentist for many years - he was silent and uninformative and basic and I had no idea how dentistry had moved on... he referred me to this new dentist to have some root canal when I broke a tooth and I have moved straight over to the new practice - kind, informative, better equipment, really caring and welcoming. And slightly more expensive but now I am KICKING MYSELF I did not move sooner. SO @Brandane, if your dentist is still scaling and polishing, you might need to find a better one!

tyred

Legendary Member
As a cheapskate stingy miser believer in value for money I use Tesco own brand mouthwash at 49p per bottle and my teeth remain white even after years of heavy smoking. The first time I went to see a dentist in many years about 2 years ago, the dentist took one look in my mouth and said "oh white teeth, I can tell you don't drink tea or coffee!"

Top Bottom