Lockring spacer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mynydd

Veteran
during the last couple of rides my bike has started rattling annoyingly on rougher roads. I had a good look today and discovered that the cassette (105 11speed) was wobbling a bit. I stripped it down, cleaned it and reassembled it and it's still wobbly. The only thing I can think of is the lockring spacer as that looked a bit chewed up. Does this make sense? And if so any idea where I can get one from? I'm not having much luck looking for one.
Thanks in advance

Tojo

Über Member
I would look at the bearings in the freehub and wheel hub, had to replace the two sealed bearings in my mates Zonda freehub two weeks ago, same problem...:scratch:

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Thanks, the beatings seem fine. The cassette definitely isn't tight enough on the hub, you can see a tiny amount of movement between them.

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
There wasn't one there when I took it off (bought the bike new just over a year ago)
It does feel as if there should be one tbh, any idea what type, and where I could get something suitable?
Though it has been fine until the last couple of weeks......

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Actually, The cassette doesn't feel as tight on my freehub as the cassette on my other bike does....

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Or even, has the freehub body somehow come loose with time?

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
The free hub seems fine. But there is definite movement between it and the cassette I've tightened it as hard as I possibly can but it's making no difference, which is why I suspected the lockring spacer, as it seemed a bit chewed...

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
The only other thing I can think of is that the freehub body is chewed up and the cassette is slipping on that.
If not, somebody more knowledgable than me will be along I'm sure.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I'm not sure what you mean? It seems fine
The threaded disc shaped object that screws on top of the cassette once you have put the cassette onto the freehub body.
You then need to tighten it with a specially shaped tool that fits inside it to allow you to tighten it.
Sorry, I am better at doing it than explaining.

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Thanks for your help.^_^ Yes, I know what the lockring is. I've taken the cassette off several times today trying to work out what is wrong, and it's begining to annoy me slightly now :angry:

Top Bottom