1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

London-Edinburgh-London 2013: The thread

Discussion in 'Road Rides, Audax and Sportives' started by Arch, 23 Feb 2010.

1. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Right. Anyone mad enough to be even considering the LEL 2013, pile in here, and hopefully any questions can be answered, training plans shared, and fevered brows mopped.

Edit: If anyone would like to appear on the potential particpants map, PM me with an approximate location (/village/town/city name will do) and I'll add you. I'll assume it's ok to label with your forum name, unless you ask otherwise.

The map is here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie...6088710563736732072.0004805b07a6256f45c55&z=6
  2. MacB

MacB Lover of things that come in 3's

Advert
    My preparation is complete, I asked Jane if I could do it and she said yes:biggrin:
    David Dobedoe likes this.
  3. Arch

Posted by Arallsopp in the touring section thread:

4. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry Age is just a number.

Awww, g'wan then. Put my name down.
  5. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Me too....
  6. dmoan

dmoan Senior Member

I am most definitely in. Pain and glory awaits...
  7. Ashaman42

Ashaman42 Well-Known Member

I'm a definite-maybe :biggrin:

Only cycled 180 miles last year but already on track to beat that since I started cycling again a couple of weeks ago.

Arallsopp's account has inspired me to start cycling again (even if just a few commutes so far).
    arallsopp likes this.
  8. darkstar

darkstar New Member

I would love to do it, i'll be 24 by then so should be old enough. Want to get an ironman under my belt first though. 3 years is a long time in the future, so things may change.
  9. PpPete

PpPete Veteran

I'm in.

But forgive my ignorance .... who (in the context of this forum) are the mousketeers? Been seeing references to it in sigs, but never thought to ask before.

Can we ask Panter to do a map of all those who are intending to take part, it might aid planning joint training rides?
  10. MacB

MacB Lover of things that come in 3's

do one silly ride, get lost a lot and you're a Mouseketeer, most of us probably qualify by default anyway. If you're a traditionalist then the ride should have Aperitif or Arallsop navigating, better yet both together with their Garmins. This has been proven to be the most successful method for turning a direct route into the TDF:biggrin:

Seriously it was just a tongue in cheek comment about some of the silly rides/distances, that stuck. It seemed to originate around the night rides to the coast and the opinion, of a few, that it would be rude not to cycle home again as well. Cue ever increasing distances, I maxed out at 167 miles and came to the conclusion that 120, in one hit, was enough. Others have gone well beyond that mark:ohmy:
  11. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

That was a question I always intended to ask but never got around to doing it, thanks for the explanation, MacB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. PalmerSperry

PalmerSperry Active Member

Oh count me in! Just need to decide what bike I'd be wanting to do it on. The Focus Culebro I'll (hopefully) be doing an SR series on this year, or should I resurrect & upgrade the Giro 26 for an event of that length? Or should I just get another bike? (Is LEL a good enough excuse for n=h+1? ;))

Oh yeah, it would probably be a good idea if I actually managed to finish a 200 before then - 3x DNFs out of 3 starts is my record so far!

Between then and now I hope to complete 4x SR series, and I might try my luck at the 1000km event in OberÖstereich in July 2012 too. (Though that goes over Großglockner, so it could influence the upright/'bent decision.)
  13. Arch

Hello! Consider yourself counted...

With a recumbent on hand, I don't think I could consider doing such a long ride on an upright. Might be slower uphill, but think of the downs!(esp on a trike)

Porky, that's a good idea on the map - I can set up a google map. So if anyone wants to PM me a vague location (city/town will do I reckon, for privacy), I'll plot people. (or I can take locations from profiles, but I think maybe better for people to actively PM me if they want in....)
  14. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry Age is just a number.

Kudos. My worst day on a (hired) bike so far.
  15. Arch

OK, map created, link in first post. So far, there are two of us, and it's unlikely we'll manage many rides together on our current home turfs...;)
  16. Nuncio

Nuncio Well-Known Member

I'll probably do it. I enjoyed the 2009 edition and am looking to re-living it vicariously when Arallsopp's book on his experience of it is delivered.

It looks as if the route is going to be tweaked a little with a Redbridge start instead of Lee Valley, and keeping further east for longer (Spalding/Market Rasen/Humber Bridge/Pocklington before striking west to Barnard Castle.
  17. PalmerSperry

PalmerSperry Active Member

Well I've already entered the Glocknerkönig for this year - the sportive that's a race up Großglockner! Haven't ridden up Großglockner yet, but one my neighbours (who has done it) thinks I won't have any problems based on us riding up the Hundstein and Kitzbuhlerhorn together off-road.
  18. Arch

We are now five on the map. And three of us on mainland UK, hoorah! I'm a long way from anyone at the moment. Mind you, the distances we're thinking of doing, it's not so far. My idea for this summer was to ride to my Mum in Leicester, just over 100 miles. If I do this properly, I'll be able to ride to my sister in Winchester!
  19. ChrisKH

ChrisKH Shorts Adjustment Expert

Very tempting; I'm fifty that year. Will I be up to it?
  20. Tim Bennet.

Tim Bennet. Entirely Average Member

Don't worry, I believe the average age for long distance events is nearer 55.