London riots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
The Clockwork Orange thread is thataway >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Pretty sure that was a form of brain washing not psycho-surgery.

Something I was thinking yesterday was that they (the authorities) should get all the people charged and put them in large halls or theatres, and play them filmed interviews with people who've lost homes or businesses, or in the case in Birmingham, sons. Or if people can bear it, have them there speaking in person. Really lay it on thick, and watch the defendants' reactions. Anyone visibly distressed, crying etc, you take them out, and start a process of rehab and community/positive punishment (making good damage, community service etc). Those who merely look a bit worried, or stressed, you give them a custodial sentence.

Anyone still swaggering and grinning, well, ideally I'd have them shot, but the state doesn't allow for it. So they get maximum penalty, whatever that can be. It probably doesn't address their issues, but it sorts the worst from the rest.

I could be wrong but isn't that type of approach called restorative justice? I've heard of a similar approach being used when violent criminals have a supervised conversation with their victims as part of their rehab during time in prison. I think it would definitely be worth a try on the younger kids.

On the subject of "hug a hoodie" although the phrase sounds ridiculous I think the general approach would be a good one for all the hoodies that are yet to become thugs, but once they behave as thugs they should be treated as such and punished appropriately.

asterix

Comrade Member
That's the whole point - the ones doing it find it exciting, like kids - either they are kids, or they only have the maturity of kids. But even 'sensible' adults can get caught up in hysteria of all sorts - look at the scrums Christmas shopping, or when there's a sale, or some new must have gadget.

Like it or not, there is a whole raft of 'crowd psychology' studies. A common theme is that individuals may do things as part of a crowd they would never do on their own.

It is also true of nations. Dictators know that an excellent way to get the people on their side is to target an unpopular minority who can be demonised and then dealt with in whatever way they choose. Perhaps Cameron was unwise to say that "parts of our society are sick"; perhaps all of it is sick?

It will be interesting to watch how our leaders deal with the problem. We live in interesting times.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Like it or not, there is a whole raft of 'crowd psychology' studies. A common theme is that individuals may do things as part of a crowd they would never do on their own.

It is also true of nations. Dictators know that an excellent way to get the people on their side is to target an unpopular minority who can be demonised and then dealt with in whatever way they choose. Perhaps Cameron was unwise to say that "parts of our society are sick"; perhaps all of it is sick?

It will be interesting to watch how our leaders deal with the problem. We live in interesting times.

AKA Peer Pressure.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
It's not your fault. (Not safe for work. Or for anyone who doesn't like swearing.)

A link to a song, (sung badly, shouted) by Eton educated Frank Turner . . . . . . . oh the irony.

I can't help thinking though, that in the absence of religous belief, it must be a great comfort to have a real live figure of hatred to demonise. ;)

Yes, Frank Turner was born at the very end of 1981, he was only 8 when Thatcher left power - what a joke !

Top Bottom