London to Brighton night ride, March 6th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hatler

Guru
Good morning,
Keen to return to my rides daan sarf please add me to the list, email on its way......
Wahey !!!!!!!!!!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I think I'm in .... will send email soon.
There may be a couple of Abingdon Freewheelers up for this too. I've explained the rools/insurance etc.

I'm/we're hatching an 'epic plan'* (weather dependant):

We ride from Abingdon to London on Friday late afternoon/early evening.
Eat heartily.
Ride down to Brighton.
Eat Heartily.
Ride back to London.
Eat Heartily.
Coach back to Oxford.
Approx 3 x 60 milers back to back.

Reason being that whilst I've ridden 150 miles before I've never done that distance incorporating a night ride, but have done the FNRttC and back from Brighton.
Furthermore, it's all familiar terrain with plenty bail-out options.

* Epic is relative, for me this will be epic.

U

User10571

Nice plan.
And good luck / gods speed with it.
If it has an Achilles heel, it is the time of year you are going to attempt this.
See also: Steve Abraham.....

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I think I'm in .... will send email soon.
There may be a couple of Abingdon Freewheelers up for this too. I've explained the rools/insurance etc.

I'm/we're hatching an 'epic plan'* (weather dependant):

We ride from Abingdon to London on Friday late afternoon/early evening.
Eat heartily.
Ride down to Brighton.
Eat Heartily.
Ride back to London.
Eat Heartily.
Coach back to Oxford.
Approx 3 x 60 milers back to back.

Reason being that whilst I've ridden 150 miles before I've never done that distance incorporating a night ride, but have done the FNRttC and back from Brighton.
Furthermore, it's all familiar terrain with plenty bail-out options.

* Epic is relative, for me this will be epic.
Been there, done that (metaphorically, not to Oxford of course).....Good luck!

mikeee

A nice little warm up and warm down!!! I've arrived via bicycle once and not public transport and found myself more refreshed to take on the ride!

Fred Simpson

I like that plan too.
My variation is 21:46 train to London (Eat), Ride to Brighton, meet wife for breakfast on Madeira Drive (Eat) and then we're off to Haywards Heath to do the Sportive together.
Then we eat again probably.

OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Andrew B
Andrew F
Anne M
Clive B
David H (@BalkanExpress - please send email)
David P
Eddie C
Fred S
Gordon P
Ian R
John M
Liam B
Martin W
Matthew W
Mice
Mike E
Nigel C
Olaf S
Rob H
Rob Ho
Ross C
Steve R
Stuart A
Tim H
Titus H
Tom F

I would be interested in people's preference on the breakfast location. I've not been too impressed by the Madeira Café. The Wetherspoon's - which we used on the September ride, as Madeira Drive was closed due some stupid event involving motor vehicles, may be an alternative. Downside it that it only opens by 8am. If numbers add up, we could ask the guys at Velo Café (http://www.velo-cafe.co.uk/) if they are willing to open early for us. Any thoughts?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I thought the weatherspoons (Bright Helm)worked very well. Only downside was lack of decent bike parking, but we made it work. We didn't have too much of a wait last time for it to open either. 10 minutes iirc. Plenty of space for everyone, big, cheap, tasty brekkies & free coffee refills. What's not to like?

Tim Hall

I thought the weatherspoons (Bright Helm)worked very well. Only downside was lack of decent bike parking, but we made it work. We didn't have too much of a wait last time for it to open either. 10 minutes iirc. Plenty of space for everyone, big, cheap, tasty brekkies & free coffee refills. What's not to like?
And @PippaG turned up too, which was lovely.
(But, yes, I can't see an issue with it, other than the 0800 opening time)

Top Bottom