London to Brighton night ride, March 6th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeee

Lots of chitter chatter on here about all sorts of subjects and I have a couple of questions as well.....
Will there be a SMRbL?
Followed by the pub?
Got to admit to forgetting the correct SMR???? It's been a while since my last one and they always bring back harrowing memories of last minute frantic rides to make the train home!

OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Lots of chitter chatter on here about all sorts of subjects and I have a couple of questions as well.....
Will there be a SMRbL?
Followed by the pub?
As @ianrauk will be on the ride, there surely will be a SMRbH.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Given the restriction from CTC's insurance
We don't see using the CTC insurance to protect the leader and other riders as a restriction. We see it as a liberation so there is insurance for the leader and other riders in the event of a mishap resulting in a claim. For the CTC insurance to be valid there can only be five non CTC insured riders. Those taking part send their CTC membership numbers in each time, there is a list and names are checked against the list before the ride starts. It all takes less than five minutes and is part of the safety talk. On an event taking maybe 12 hours of your life, door to door, this is nothing. With more than a hundred riders, several times a year, for several years, it works.
There are lots of lovely rides with lovely people, in all sorts off places and please feel free to take part in any number of them: but to do this one you need to have the insurance the club has decided.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Will there be a SMRbL?
Followed by the pub?
Got to admit to forgetting the correct SMR???? It's been a while since my last one and they always bring back harrowing memories of last minute frantic rides to make the train home!
Hoping for a SMRbtL ....

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Apropos of nothing, discovered on my last visit to Madeira Drive this past Sunday that The Seagull (and presumably, its charming, delightful, helpful proprietor.....) is no longer there. An operation named Fish and Liquor is there instead.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
We don't see using the CTC insurance to protect the leader and other riders as a restriction. We see it as a liberation so there is insurance for the leader and other riders in the event of a mishap resulting in a claim. For the CTC insurance to be valid there can only be five non CTC insured riders. Those taking part send their CTC membership numbers in each time, there is a list and names are checked against the list before the ride starts. It all takes less than five minutes and is part of the safety talk. On an event taking maybe 12 hours of your life, door to door, this is nothing. With more than a hundred riders, several times a year, for several years, it works.
There are lots of lovely rides with lovely people, in all sorts off places and please feel free to take part in any number of them: but to do this one you need to have the insurance the club has decided.
After all, one only needs to look at the many, many photos of rides that have taken place under the Fridays umbrella to see the truly horrifying burden of the oppressive insurance policy on our happy, smiling faces....er, wait a minute.....

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
@mjray I imagine if you joined the conversation along the lines "If I don't have CTC membership but I do have XYZ..." the response maybe of been quite positive. It's a bit like ringing customer services and saying your product is xxxxx in the first sentence.........
actually, not. I spent untold hours looking in to insurance and every policy I looked in to with the exception of the CTC and LCC insurances (both Hiscox brokered by Butterworth Spengler) were pants. BC was a close call. This, that or the other (ETA, other, perfectly respectable, UK organisations, German organisations.....) were nowhere near.

So - for the avoidance of doubt.

1. It's a CTC affiliated club ride. It used to be a CTC Member Group (the Cheam and Morden) ride, but we got too big. The CTC gives the club officials £10M of cover for sixty quid a year. That's a really good deal - and if you don't believe me, spend the time to work out how much it would cost to do the same rides under BC rules (which would include helmets). I did ask the LCC, but, while they were happy to give us an award, the commercial side of it just didn't work for them.
2. Everybody has to have qualifying third party insurance - so that in the event that the organisers are blameless but one of you causes an injury to another one of you, there is a line of action.
3. It is completely wrong to suggest that the CTC's insurers will not meet a claim made by one member against another.
4. Given the amount of fun that lots of people have had thanks to the CTC's insurance cover I have absolutely no qualms about telling people that they have to join if they want to come on the ride. None whatsoever. If people don't like it they can do a BHF ride.
5. I do check on the CTC numbers if I'm not sure. One rider lied to me about his number and was told to sling his hook.
6. Mr. Jay does not get to come on the rides until he writes me a fulsome apology for timewasting. **** me, can you imagine the fuss and bother at wayfinding points? And, no, as Adrian will point out, I'm not a nice person.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
One more time, that's all fine and you're all quite safe that the CTC membership requirement keeps me off FNRttC rides for the forseeable.
3. It is completely wrong to suggest that the CTC's insurers will not meet a claim made by one member against another.
which wasn't exactly the suggestion anyway (it was only the legal advice wasn't offered - but I can't find where I read that, so maybe it's either changed or the person who told me was mistaken) but there are some exclusions, as mentioned while I was trying to find it:
...http://www.ctc.org.uk/insurance/third-party-insurance that you're not covered if you crash into a relative or employee

Mr Orange

Seems simple to me. Liked the look of the Fridays rides but had to become an affiliate CTC member for £18 and pay£2 subs (bargain). After that first very nervous ride, with lots of great characters and a team of TEC's who made sure we all got to the coast safely, I loved it and was hooked. If a requirement to join future rides had of been to sing the Italian National Anthem at the stroke of midnight under the arch at HPC....I probably would.

Top Bottom