London to Brighton with the Veteran Cars 5 November 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marmite

Hi Bob.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Hhhhmmmm.
It appears that my hotel doesn't serve breakfast on Sunday mornings until 07.00.
I'll be down, tapping my fingers, before then but I doubt that I'll be mobile until 07.45 (ish).
Looks like I'll have a long, solo chase until one of the food stops of the CC riders.

Last edited:

frank9755

Cyclist
The departure from East Croydon is not always punctual so you might catch us there.
If not there's usually a bit of a re-group somewhere roundabout Coulsden, where there are usually some gazeebos where there are bacon rolls, tea and similar to be had. Then lunch in Crawley.

rb58

Enigma
Hhhhmmmm.
It appears that my hotel doesn't serve breakfast on Sunday mornings until 07.00.
I'll be down, tapping my fingers, before then but I doubt that I'll be mobile until 07.45 (ish).
Looks like I'll have a long, solo chase until one of the food stops of the CC riders.

The speed you ride at you'll have no problem catching us up. It's not a fast ride.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
The speed you ride at you'll have no problem catching us up. It's not a fast ride.

Kind of you to say so rb58 but my recent COVID infection has knocked me quite a lot.
I very much doubt that I'll be riding all the way back to London Village, much as I'd like to.

Last edited:

Domus

Guru
The Lotus 7 Club will be at Handcross, tell them you know me and you may scrounge a hot drink. :okay:

rb58

Enigma
Kind of you to say so rb58 but my recent COVID infection has knocked me quite a lot.
I very much doubt that I'll be riding all the way back to London Village, much as I'd like to.

I think you have my number, so ping me when you're Croydon way. I doubt folks will leave Croydon station much before 8:45. and of course a train from London Victoria to East Croydon is also an option for you.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Thanks to Bob and rb58 for organising/sending routes for today's ride.
As I feared, I was too tired to consider riding even part way back to London so I ended up on the train. That means that I have some time to kill before I head back to MCR so I've decided to have a beer, as I do.
Great day out that deserves more support 👍.

rb58

Enigma
Fabulous day - thanks for organising Bob. The weather was kind, the crowds friendly, even the marshals were (mostly) helpful. Although I think we should find a different cafe next year - adding a service charge to a Full English is a bit cheeky when you have to order it at the counter.

I'm not sure, but this Cadillac could possibly be called a 'Surrey with the fringe on top'.
IMG_4010.JPG

frank9755

Cyclist
Yes, fun day out. Good to see everyone again and to meet Oliver. Interesting to hear about the plans for Smithfield market - always learn something on a bike ride!

I set off intending to ride to Brighton and get the train back, and Ross was intending to turn round at Burgess Hill. It looked like we both did the opposite. I made it back in good time to take daughter to the fireworks, although I had a puncture stop. This was annoying as I had realised I had forgotten my pump when I got to Croydon, but it worked out OK as another rider came by and stopped as soon as I had got my new tube in, so no additional time lost.

I thought there were more old bikes than in previous years. My daughter was most intrigued by the picture of a penny farthing I sent her and we had interesting discussions about getting on and off them, gear inches and other matters over dinner!
1000010337.jpg

Top Bottom