London to Cambridge ride,26th July.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hambones

Yep I'll be there again this year (last year being my first). I am from Waltham Abbey so for me it's a great there and back opportunity with only a 5 mile ride to the start. Last year I clocked it at 118 miles which is still far and away my longest ever ride.

Last year was also very hot and I made the mistake of starting with the first group so none of the feed stations were manned so ended up pretty dehydrated! I'm hoping to start a little later this time - oh and beat last year's time of course!

BigSteev

That was my first fixed ride last year. Probably aim to do there and back this time. Like you I'm only 5 miles from the start.

medication25

guys, i just completed the London- Southend ride. and ive done the great Kent ride.. how is this one for hills.. im thinking about doing it this weekend...

hambones

It's slightly hillier than the Southend ride - 1100m of ascent compared to 750m (approx figures). The last 10 miles or so are very flat. That said, it's also a far more enjoyable route IMO.

How did you get on with the Southend ride? Killer headwind for the last few miles!!

medication25

Thanks Ham, i have signed up...:laugh: i done the London - Southend in 3hrs 58mins.. with no stops so im going to try and better that on this one, not bad for a fat bloke who is new to cycling.

ShannonBall

Über Member
I'll be there, leaving from North Finchley - PM me if you're looking for someone to ride with. I'm aiming for 7am on the start line.

Prasad

I was there for this ride, started @ 8:30 in the morning and finished @ 12:37 with a stop of 15 mins for refuelling(I don't have bottle holder on my RB velocity, so need to stop for refuelling). It was very pleasant ride indeed. Feel easier than last week's London-southend, which was terrible for last few miles because of string headwind.

I did this ride (second time for me, I did it last year as the first +50 mile ride I'd ever done). Weather held out until the late afternoon, though it was quite windy it was mostly a tail wind. Organisation, signage and encouragement along the route was very good - although the '20 miles to go' sign was at least 30 miles out! Also not sure why they had a food stop at Duxford and Whittlesford, as they are about 2 miles apart - some local rivaly I guess. Some villages actually had people out waving and cheering - just like the Tour!

We did it in 6 and a half hours, so we weren't rushing, and we did crash once when I managed to tip the bike into a HUGE mud-filled pothole. Nothing serious but it did stop us for 20 minutes. Thanks to the guys from the Brixton club (and some other people) for stopping to help us!

One thing I noticed was that there were a lot more people in 'proper' kit this year, and fewer dressed as fairies etc (it is a charity ride for Breakthrough). Fewer BSO type bikes as well - though last year my bike was one of those BSOs...we did start earlier - probably before the bus+van arrived - so that might explain it. A fair few 'serious' roadie types do this ride, as well as blokes in fairy wings, it's a really good mix of riders.

All in all a good day! 60 miles, and I didn't really feel tired or sore - I'm thinking seriously that I'm ready for a 100.......

ShannonBall

Über Member
I did this ride (second time for me, I did it last year as the first +50 mile ride I'd ever done). Weather held out until the late afternoon, though it was quite windy it was mostly a tail wind. Organisation, signage and encouragement along the route was very good - although the '20 miles to go' sign was at least 30 miles out! Also not sure why they had a food stop at Duxford and Whittlesford, as they are about 2 miles apart - some local rivaly I guess. Some villages actually had people out waving and cheering - just like the Tour!

We did it in 6 and a half hours, so we weren't rushing, and we did crash once when I managed to tip the bike into a HUGE mud-filled pothole. Nothing serious but it did stop us for 20 minutes. Thanks to the guys from the Brixton club (and some other people) for stopping to help us!

One thing I noticed was that there were a lot more people in 'proper' kit this year, and fewer dressed as fairies etc (it is a charity ride for Breakthrough). Fewer BSO type bikes as well - though last year my bike was one of those BSOs...we did start earlier - probably before the bus+van arrived - so that might explain it. A fair few 'serious' roadie types do this ride, as well as blokes in fairy wings, it's a really good mix of riders.

All in all a good day! 60 miles, and I didn't really feel tired or sore - I'm thinking seriously that I'm ready for a 100.......

It you're ready for 100, why not ride there and back again.

Top Bottom