Looking for a hybrid...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

db7db7

Hi all,
first ever post and new to all of this riding. Basically looking to splash around £400 on a hybrid bike - need for general keeping fit, light trails and something that'll do a "propsed" London-Paris trip later in the year. Thinking of the Voodoo Marasa from Halfords at £350 - excellent reviews. Also heard good things about the felt QX65. Is the Voodoo a good shout? What other bikes would do?
Any help would help this novice in a world of technical terminology!!!
Thanks,
D

vickster

Legendary Member
2011 Specialized Sirrus Sport? Will be quicker for the London-Paris. Take mudguards and a rack

http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/products.php?plid=m9b3s18p8847&rs=gb&vid=29601

OP
OP
db7db7

db7db7

That looks great - is it generally better spec than the voodoo? Any other suggestions?

vickster

Legendary Member
It'll certainly be lighter and quicker on road, the Voodoo has disc brakes, will stop better in wet, mud

I think the Specialized has a better groupset (Alivio rather than Acera). Also the Voodoo has 45mm tyres - basically it's a solid framed MTB, rather than a fast flat barred road bike like the Specialized (on 28mm tyres). Have a look at all the options

OP
OP
db7db7

db7db7

Thanks for the help. Currently favouring your suggestion as i generally do more road/village rides, only trail work is Rutland Water and i'm sure the Sirrus Sport would have no problem with that terrain.
Unless other people know any others...

OP
OP
db7db7

db7db7

Thanks for all the replies - i went for the sirrus sport 2011 only to be informed that they are out of stock despite the link above saying they're not - gutted.
Now thinking of the sirrus elite 2011 which i can get for £399:
http://www.cyclesurgery.com/special...e/bikes-components-bikewear/fcp-product/20004
Vickster, do you really rate this and is it worth £400?
Thanks again.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, I paid £450 for mine :smile: Great commuter bike, guards, rack, barends, sorted. Can you get a test ride? How tall are you as they have medium and large, the bikes seem to come up quite big

Just make sure it's had the carbon forks sorted after the recall :smile:

OP
OP
db7db7

db7db7

Hi, i'm 6feet. Pretty sure this'll be the one - what's this about a recall and carbon forks? Could i just e-mail the company to find out? Sorry for all the qs.:wacko:

OP
OP
db7db7

db7db7

This would be online - nearest store is miles away. Yeah, i thought Large too - have read it's quite a "tall ride" anyway.
Have wanged cyclesurgery an e-mail asking about this. Hope this is all okay - looking forward to getting one - reviews look great!
Thanks again for your help.

OP
OP
db7db7

db7db7

Sorry to keep bothering you vickster, but just had a quick query. Checked with cyclesurgery and the forks have all been replaced following the recall, which is great. Would you take this bike on trails (e.g. woodland paths, light gravely stuff etc) or would this be too much? could wider tyres be fitted on the supplied wheels to help this e.g. 32s?
I only ask as want to know weather to keep my old rubbish mountain bike once i pull the trigger and buy this, or sell it to help pay for it and clear some space in the garage :rolleyes: . I ride mainly roads anyway (about 90%) and occasionally go round places like Rutland water with friends.
Then only panniers and rack to worry about before Pairs!
Thanks again for all your help.

vickster

Legendary Member
I ride through a park on mine on my commute which can be mucky, have done gravelly stuff and grass and ride on utterly appalling London roads daily, not to mention rain and the tyres have never let me down :smile: I don't think fatter tyres would make much difference. Having screwed my knee in a bike tumble a few years ago, I am reasonably cautious but that's me not the bike

I'd keep the old rubbish MTB just in case...I have a rather nice MTB and a carbon road bike for those occasions :wacko:

Top Bottom