loose headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
the headset on my carbon ribble is rocking. i've tried tightening to no avail; it's a carbon steerer so i don't want to go all brute force with it.

i've noticed that the lower spacer is not quite flush with the top of the head tube; does it need to have the headset re-pressed, or is a job i can do with a hammer and bit of wood?

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
image.jpg

U

User6179

the headset on my carbon ribble is rocking. i've tried tightening to no avail; it's a carbon steerer so i don't want to go all brute force with it.

i've noticed that the lower spacer is not quite flush with the top of the head tube; does it need to have the headset re-pressed, or is a job i can do with a hammer and bit of wood?

The headset cups will be part of the frame i think so you don't need to have them re-pressed , have you checked the steerer plug is tight and in the correct place ? , if loose when you tighten the top cap you just pull the plug up until it bottoms out on the top cap and the steering stays loose .

The headset cups will be part of the frame i think so you don't need to have them re-pressed , have you checked the steerer plug is tight and in the correct place ? , if loose when you tighten the top cap you just pull the plug up until it bottoms out on the top cap and the steering stays loose .
That depends on whether it's a fully integrated, or semi integrated set up. The fact that it's out of alignment would suggest the latter.

Citius

That's an integrated headset, so the bearings are just sitting in the frame. No pressing or re-pressing needed. My money would be on the top of the stem not being clear of the top of the steerer, which would prevent you from pre-loading the headset properly. Try adding another spacer over the stem - that would tell you if that's the issue or not.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
image.jpg
thanks all, fixed it. i think the problem may be a slight lack of compatibility between the deda stem cap and the itm expander. it's not the most elegant solution, but it will do for now; maybe replace the whole set with deda components...

Last edited:
Top Bottom