Mains bulb to led strip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have some old horrible bulbs I want to swap for LED strips in a hidden alcove. The bulbs are 240v AC. Is it a simple case of buying a 12v DC adaptor to the socket shown below and the plug the led strip into that?

IMG_2605.JPG

IMG_2604.JPG

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Is the problem with the existing light the size of the housing? I've seen LED strips in Maplin that might suit but you'd probably need to do some rewiring.

Best not to improvise with building electrics. Use an LED strip lamp solution that is designed and sold for the application. Oh, and check if what you want to do is permitted DIY under part P. It's not your bike ;-))

OP
OP
M

Markymark

Get an electrician in, they're only £1000/day in London.

I think it would work ok but may not last as long, or may flicker.
It's not the money it's the fecking about. Our electrician came 3 times as he kept getting wrong lights. I ended up fitting kitchen led but he's done electrics so was just plugging in. Want to do study now and rather just do it myself.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
It's not the money it's the fecking about. Our electrician came 3 times as he kept getting wrong lights. I ended up fitting kitchen led but he's done electrics so was just plugging in. Want to do study now and rather just do it myself.

I just changed mine, the plugs were wrong so I cut them off and used connector blocks. I isolated the power first mind.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Presumably I just need to match current output of transformer?
Yeah. I have an 8.5A power supply that's happily powering most of the 10m of LED strip I bought for my bedroom. You'll most likely have to cut the plugs in your photo off. Any of the websites that sell the LED strip will have suitable power supplies and connectors.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Buy purpose made from Maplins, B&Q etc etc, clip the existing cables and connect via WAGO's. No need for Part P or all that excitement for what you have planned

Top Bottom