Man made hazards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sight-pin

Veteran
Yes the other meaning of "post here":B)

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Stupid place to put a post but it also helps to leave a gap where you can see what in front of you. But Im not a racer:0)

An interesting site though.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
'Lucky' he hit it dead centre or he'd have mullered one of his knees or legs!!

A few chevrons of white paint warning of the post would help, maybe.

OP
OP
snorri

snorri

Legendary Member
And that was difficult to see and avoid how ? Maybe bin the 'cool' sunspecs and look where going
I'm an Ordinary Clothes cyclist and not a spokesperson for the lycra/helmet/goggles brigade but would ask why any cyclist, pedestrian or pram pusher should be required to avoid such hazards?
As a driver I have yet to see a solid object deliberately placed in the middle of a carriageway without a plethora of cones and flashing lights surrounding it, why should cycle paths be so different?
We live in an era of safety consciousness, hazard reporting schemes, education etc., but bollards in the middle of cycle paths still seem to be acceptable, even to many cyclists if this thread is typical:sad:.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm an Ordinary Clothes cyclist and not a spokesperson for the lycra/helmet/goggles brigade but would ask why any cyclist, pedestrian or pram pusher should be required to avoid such hazards?
As a driver I have yet to see a solid object deliberately placed in the middle of a carriageway without a plethora of cones and flashing lights surrounding it, why should cycle paths be so different?
We live in an era of safety consciousness, hazard reporting schemes, education etc., but bollards in the middle of cycle paths still seem to be acceptable, even to many cyclists if this thread is typical:sad:.
It is an attempt to stop 'Joyriders' driving stolen cars along cyclepaths before setting them on fire, 'torching' them I believe is the vernacular.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
And that was difficult to see and avoid how ? Maybe bin the 'cool' sunspecs and look where going
Answer: Because there were cyclists directly in front of him obscuring his view! They didn't call out a warning until the last possible moment, which turned out to be way too late.

I went out for an evening ride with a colleague once. I was behind him and he rode right to the edge of a deep pothole before finally swerving round it. I somehow managed to bunnyhop over it but I wasn't a happy cyclist. I caught up with him and explained about calling out hazards to riders behind. We continued with the ride and were just coming home when he did the same damn thing again, only this time the hazard was a house brick lying in the road. I rode straight over it and got double snakebite punctures. When I reminded him about warning riders about hazards, he shrugged and said that he couldn't believe that I hadn't seen it! :wacko: :cursing:

As for the rider in the video wearing sunspecs ... it did look rather sunny there so I think sunspecs were appropriate. They had nothing to do with the crash.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is it Australia?

In general, I agree, but that's forgetting traffic islands that consist of a bit of kerbing and a reflective bollard. (In lit areas, they're probably be illuminated, but often not elsewhere.)

except by the staggered half-barriers that cyclist moan slow them down too much.
Actually, rather than speed, we moan about barriers because they block legitimate users, including some who benefit most from cycle tracks:
barrierss.jpg

Top Bottom