Managed Estates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cd365

Guru
I am on a new estate and have a management company who charges a small fortune to cut a bit of grass and manage a few lights. A month ago I reported that 2 lights were not working (they are on a path next to a stream and it is pitch black now the lighting is broken). I have chased and they said they would get someone to fix it, that was 10 days ago.

Having dealt with the management company in the past they are loathe to send out details of what they actually do and what they are responsible for.

Anyone have any ideas what my next course of action should be? Local council maybe?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
A Facebook campaign backed up with a Twitterstorm.

Have they got an office on site? If they have go in every single day and be a pest until fixed.

They can ignore emails and telephones calls but ignoring someone in person is much harder.

OP
OP
cd365

cd365

Guru
Citizens Advice Bureau could probably point you in the right direction. Failing that, a more expensive route would be to get a solicitor involved.

Who actually holds the contract and pays the management company? It is coordinated by one of the local residents?
The management company sends out a bill every 6 months. I haven't paid the latest one because they are in breach of contract as far as I'm concerned.

Have they got an office on site? If they have go in every single day and be a pest until fixed.

They can ignore emails and telephones calls but ignoring someone in person is much harder.

They are not on site but send someone out to check the site apparently. These lights have been broken for months! I got fed up waiting to see how long before they noticed!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Call a residents association meeting (there must be one if they have selected a management firm). Raise the issue and propose that you start a new firm. Cut the grass yourself and charge the residents fairly.

My mate did this in a small estate in Surrey, worked well as he managed to stock his shed with all manner of helpful kit and was able to do "extra" work on the side, which the residents committee was very happy with.

J

My parents live in a retirement flat and the residents all got sick of the management company they were using for similar problems to yours. They managed to sack them ( don't know how) and employ a new company. Are yours working for the residents? If so, could you all decide to bin them?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
@Ronnie_Pickering might be at a loose end and available for short term 'contracts'.

OP
OP
cd365

cd365

Guru
A Residents Committee did form and then died a death when the management company threatened to take one of them to court. I think I'm one of the last ones to still fight their incompetence. People just pay up and move on.
I own my house.
The management company was appointed by the builders, who also happen to own the management company in some sort of back-handed way.

From the failed attempt it seems that the management company may be one appointed to manage. Residents have options to either take over the running or appoint someone else.
It is all bound in lots of legal dos and donts. Really not a CAB issue, solicitors or council. I think it is either plug away at them or try to get them out.
It is an area where there is a great deal of money made for doing very little and the firms are often useless and as you say in cahoots with the builders.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I have some experience of this as both my last and current houses are part of managed schemes.

When you bought the house it will have been in the contract you signed that you agree to pay the management fee. The management company must provide you with the details of what services they provide and they should also provide a breakdown of what exactly they have done and spent in the year. The residents can change their managing agents at any time as the agents work for you and you will be a shareholder of the company that was set up and which employs them,each houseowner will have 1 share.The original builders will have got an initial company in to manage the estate but the residents can get together, get other quotes from other companies or you can run it yourself ( between residents ).

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I would get the residents together for a meeting.The agents dont need to be made aware and then you can arrange to seek further quotes or advice. It is money for old rope but becoming more and more common on developments of all sizes. Thankfully mine is just for gardening around the development.

In my previous development the Parish Council played a big part so it may be worth talking to your parish clerk to see if they can help or have anyone on the council who may be able to offer assistance.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Our first house was like this. We gave the management company so much hassle(deservedly) that they parted company.
All 18 properties set up its own management company. This is rife with troubles and pitfalls too! The lowest point was a 50 odd year old chiropodist decking a 20's office worker. It was fun!

Top Bottom