Manchester - Llandudno 2016 : Saturday April 23...for Harry, England and St George

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It's back

Surely the weather can't be as bad as last year can it??

Same basic idea as 2015: All day ride from Manchester Piccadilly train station to Llandudno. Optional start/finish points along the way for those who want a shorter ride

For those unfamiliar it's about 100 miles all in. But you can choose to do a part of the ride if you prefer. There will be two potential routes to choose from:

Route 1 is the same as last year except I have made a tiny modification to remove the bit where @Cubist had his unfortunate incident. It's only got 2,800ft of climbing so there isn't a much easier way to do a century ride

Route 2 is the same as Route 1 except it replaces the A548 (the boring road from Flint to Prestatyn) with a hillier inland section. Mileage is almost the same but the total climbing increases to 3,800ft so it is a bit more of a challenge

There is a nice route out of Manchester and after Altrincham it's rural lanes most of the way to Eureka Café where we will stop for lunch. From Prestatyn to Llandudno is 25 miles of cycling next to the sea on the coastal path

When we get to Llandudno there will be fish & chips or whatever you fancy (there are plenty of places to eat there). In 2015 a good number of us stopped over and we had a good night out. Plan would be the same for 2016. Llandudno has a decent train station to get back to Manchester, Birmingham, London. Plenty of accommodation in Llandudno too

Intention is to start at 8am from Manchester. An hour earlier than last year to make sure we've got plenty of time

The idea is to have official stop/start points at Manchester/Altrincham/Weaverham/Eureka Café/Llandudno

At this stage expressions of interest are fine. I'll maintain a master list on this post as I did in 2015

Hope we get a good turn out like 2015. Weather will be better.......I promise, OK?

The flatter Route 1
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6878088

The hillier Route 2
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/11217038

Expressions of Interest

Manchester Start

@DiddlyDodds ** confirmed **
@si_c ** confirmed **
@doughnut ** confirmed **
@rich p ** confirmed **
@Norry1
@mike3121 ** confirmed **
@theclaud ** confirmed **
@BRounsley +3 ** confirmed **
@wanda2010 ** confirmed **
@StevePurcell_SCC
@bancrobba
@TissoT
@tommaguzzi ** confirmed **
@mythste ** confirmed **
@YahudaMoon ** confirmed **
@Katherine ** confirmed **

Altrincham Start
@400bhp ** confirmed **
@Leaway2 +1 ** confirmed **

Weaverham Start
@Jaykun85 ** confirmed **

Eureka Start
@Rickshaw Phil ** confirmed **
@Crackle ** confirmed **
@McWobble ** confirmed **

Rhyl Start
@gavroche ** confirmed **

Attachments

• Llandudno Ride Notes Manchester - Eureka.docx
    1.4 MB · Views: 107
  • Llandudno Ride Notes Eureka - Llandudno.docx
    1.4 MB · Views: 84
  • Llandudno Ride Notes Manchester - Eureka.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 101
  • Llandudno Ride Notes Eureka - Llandudno.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 123
Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
No guarantees at this stage but I could be tempted by this ride again.:smile: I'd probably do the same as last time - ride out to Eureka Cafe and join the group there. That worked well for me last time and should do again, especially considering the earlier start.

400bhp

Guru
Expression of interest here. Be that joining you for an hour or so at the start/finish or longer or whatever.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I know it is getting harder to get people to turn out for rides, but I hadn't thought to book up dates 5 months in advance! :okay:

Hmm ... that means I should be getting on with organising my 2016 Glasson Dock ride which will take place 3 or 4 weeks earlier ... :whistle:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The earlier start and flatter option both sound good to me, but there's a Friday Night Ride on the 22nd, so there's a choice to be made ...

Oh heck, I didn't check for a clash. I can't run it the week after as it's Bank Holiday weekend and any earlier the chances of poor weather increases

Let's stick with April 23. Of course if that means that Friday-ers can't make it that would be a real pity as there were several; you @theclaud, @User @wanda2010 @Andrew Br

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
St George and the Dragon go hand in hand so what better place to go than Wales, also it has a tip top coastline and proper friendly folk.

Put me down on the list for a Eureka start. And for those of us starting at Eureka can you consider the possibility of updating where the main ride is on the thread so we can time the rendezvous?

Norry1

Legendary Member
Put me down as a possible. Reckon I'd drive up to Piccadilly and get the train back after a fish supper. I assume bikes on that train line are ok? Hmmm, all day parking on Saturday - is that an issue there?

Martin

Top Bottom