Manchester - Llandudno 2016 : Saturday April 23...for Harry, England and St George

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'd never ridden the Hilly Route 2 despite offering it on this ride so I did it today. Glossop - Prestatyn taking the hilly route off the A548. To be fair there was a nice Easterly so it was a good day to do it

The hilly inland route is nice compared to the A548. But it is about 5 miles longer and is lumpy. To be honest, if there is a headwind on the day I wouldn't go that way unless you're in good cycling shape. It goes up to 800ft so I think it could be hard going. If conditions aren't good on the day (still or a tailwind) I will probably go the A548 route. Up to each rider of course

And for all you stravaphobes here's the proof. I ended up cycling around Tesco Prestatyn car park to get the imperial century
https://www.strava.com/activities/492742281

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I'd never ridden the Hilly Route 2 despite offering it on this ride so I did it today. Glossop - Prestatyn taking the hilly route off the A548. To be fair there was a nice Easterly so it was a good day to do it

The hilly inland route is nice compared to the A548. But it is about 5 miles longer and is lumpy. To be honest, if there is a headwind on the day I wouldn't go that way unless you're in good cycling shape. It goes up to 800ft so I think it could be hard going. If conditions aren't good on the day (still or a tailwind) I will probably go the A548 route. Up to each rider of course

And for all you stravaphobes here's the proof. I ended up cycling around Tesco Prestatyn car park to get the imperial century
Riding around a Tesco car park? Devotion to the cause indeed!

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
You could have checked in on or Caravan in Gronant !

I did think of you Fossy when I went through Gronant. I could definitely have done with a cuppa by then, I was freezing and knackered

One other word of warning.....I cycled from Prestatyn to Rhyl and on the far side of Rhyl there is a lot of sand on the cyclepath. I presume the storms deposit it there but I don't know if the local council bother removing it. On the day watch out cos it's a bit tricky cycling through on skinny tyres

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I'd never ridden the Hilly Route 2 despite offering it on this ride so I did it today.
- headwind on the day I wouldn't go that way unless you're in good cycling shape.

I will be more the shape of a Potato than a cycle, but you planted the seed of the optional hilly route, so it has to be done now..

Freds Dad

Veteran
It may now be myself plus 2 but I have a dilemna.
My better half was picking me and my son up from Llandudno with our bikes but the third person makes this impossible, so is anyone coming back on the day who could bring a bike for us? I live near Macclesfield but can collect the bike from you. Obvioulsy someone living nearer to Macc the better.

Also where is the Weaverham meeting point?

mike3121

I did think of you Fossy when I went through Gronant. I could definitely have done with a cuppa by then, I was freezing and knackered

One other word of warning.....I cycled from Prestatyn to Rhyl and on the far side of Rhyl there is a lot of sand on the cyclepath. I presume the storms deposit it there but I don't know if the local council bother removing it. On the day watch out cos it's a bit tricky cycling through on skinny tyres

oh yeah I remember you having a little fall in the sand last year :tongue:

si_c

Guru

Went up kelsterton lane the other week, must admit I didn't enjoy that too much. The first section where it ramps up to around 20% I didn't enjoy at all, made me realise how flat my riding is generally.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Not sure if its set in stone yet but currently Off Northwich Road CW8 3EU
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...1s0x487afbeee4ba24dd:0xeb15da973beed8b5?hl=en

Yes, that's the place and it's set in stone. It's called the Devonshire Bakery and I went there for a coffee yesterday. It's OK, nothing fancy. Does hot drinks, bakery type stuff (like croissants, pasties etc etc), bacon rolls, full brekkies. I anyone wants something like the brekkie I strongly suggest they ring in advance as they may be a bit slow for that, they are more a bakery than anything else

There is also a Co-op and a Tesco Express in the row of shops if people prefer

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Went up kelsterton lane the other week, must admit I didn't enjoy that too much. The first section where it ramps up to around 20% I didn't enjoy at all, made me realise how flat my riding is generally.

Come on it's not that bad. The ramp you're on about is 100m at most. The tougher bit if it's a headwind is further on where you're quite exposed. I intend to see how I'm doing on the day and what the weather's like

si_c

Guru
Come on it's not that bad. The ramp you're on about is 100m at most. The tougher bit if it's a headwind is further on where you're quite exposed. I intend to see how I'm doing on the day and what the weather's like
True, if I were used to riding hills it would be no problem. But I'm not. I'm also fat.

Top Bottom