Manchester - Llandudno 25 April 2015 featuring the Inaugural Hill Climb Sausage Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
And a stronger cyclist than most of us.

I believe Skolly is predicted to be among the first few to reach Llandudno - should he choose to put the hammer down.

Well yeah, not disputing that... but if you want to beat him just distract him with a nice steep set of steps - whilst he's picking up his teeth and scraping various bits of his anatomy off the bottom one you can whiz past and win the sprint :smile:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I don't intend to treat it as a race personally

Indeed, Nick's made it clear it isn't one.

Road riding is not my thing, but I am impressed by the speeds and distances some of the guys - and gals - can achieve should they choose to do so.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I might get there just before closing.

I'll stick you on the "Expressions of Interest".

And joking aside, I'd really like to keep everyone vaguely together except those that may be under time pressure with return trains. I've already worded up @I like Skol that he's down the back with me helping with mechanicals and pacing folk back up to the groups. He's too fast a rider to let me pass that up

I'll stick you on the "Expressions of Interest".

And joking aside, I'd really like to keep everyone vaguely together except those that may be under time pressure with return trains. I've already worded up @I like Skol that he's down the back with me helping with mechanicals and pacing folk back up to the groups. He's too fast a rider to let me pass that up
If he gets a bit ahead, kick him in the knee.

Wobblers

Euthermic
I don't intend to treat it as a race personally

So what's your policy on encouraging others to treat it as a race?

Personally, I'll be treating this as a Ride To The Pub. :smile:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Just to let you all know that I've started rejigging the Expressions of Interest in post#1 to take into account riders' start points. There are quite a lot who haven't replied to the PM yet so as they do I'll keep modifying it. This way you'll know who you're starting with

I've also taken the liberty to stick a few folks' start points down that I know, even if they haven't yet replied to the PM

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The Ride Notes File is proving to be a bit of a PITA given its size. I'm getting some knock backs from email addresses which presumably can't handle the file size. As a result I'm also going to post the file contents here. Participants can hopefully cut and paste it as they desire into their own file

Manchester – Llandudno Cycle Chat Ride April 25

Before I get into the ride notes, a couple of housekeeping matters that we should all be aware of:

This ride is organised on a “consenting adults” basis. That is, we all ride responsibly and we all take personal responsibility for our actions. Parts of the ride will be on shared use paths and cyclists must exercise caution on them.

There is no compulsory insurance for the ride. If you knock a fellow cyclist off its up to you to sort it out with the other party. Same applies regarding other road users. As organiser I am just that, organiser. In participating you agree that the organiser has no liability associated with your ride.

Ride Logistics

The full ride is about 99 miles with around 2,300ft of climbing. It will start at Manchester Piccadilly train station and finish at “Fish Tram Chips” in Llandudno. There will be official meet up points at Altrincham, Marbury Country Park, Eureka Café and Bike Hub Rhyl.

Meet Point Miles into the Ride Miles to Go Approx time

Manchester Piccadilly 0 99 0900

Altrincham 10 89 0950

Marbury CP 25 74 1100

Eureka Café 52 47 1340

Bike Hub Rhyl 83 16 1700

Fish Tram Chips 99 0 1830

We will regroup at the above points with the exception of those riders who are under time pressure regarding return trains. Between the regroup points we will inevitably split into smaller groups. It is up to you to make sure you are in a group that can adequately navigate the route between the regroup points.

Riders may suffer mechanical problems. The most important thing is that these riders don’t get detached off the back of the ride without navigation or the ability to fix their problem. As such I would like experienced riders to look out for this. We can then quickly assess a problem, hopefully help fix it and then pace the individual back up to the group. As such I hope that faster riders will not disappear into the distance unless they have a pressing need such as a train to catch.

If it is windy we need to help out the slower riders. The ride is heading due west and a lot of it is quite exposed. In the event of a windy day I hope the quicker riders will be able to shield the less quick ones so we all get to Llandudno at a reasonable time.

In the event of a serious mechanical problem or some other problem that prevents you from completing the ride we are never more than a few miles from a train station. We will get you to a station and then you can decide whether to go by train to Llandudno or head home. There is also a list of bike shops in the Appendix that may be able to fix more serious bike problems.

A final comment regarding ride speed. The timings are based on 12mph average speed excluding the stops at Marbury, Eureka and Rhyl. This is achievable and we will try to help to keep the back markers at that sort of speed. However, if a rider is really struggling with this pace they need to either let other riders go and accept they will arrive a bit later into Llandudno or they can take a train to catch up a bit.

The first train station you can get a train to Llandudno from is Shotton at about 60 miles, after that there are stations every 10 miles or so. If you’re flagging and wanting to make sure you get to Llandudno in good shape you could get a train from Shotton to Prestatyn for example, miss out 20 not particularly exciting miles and then enjoy the last 20 miles along the seafront.

Last orders at Fish Tram Chips is 1900 and it closes at 1930 (although they will be flexible on this as we will fill the place). If you’re struggling to get there at 1900 I suggest arranging to phone your order through to a faster rider who will get there in time.

I will PM all of you my mobile number. If, on the day, you can’t make it please text me so that I am not hanging around waiting for you. If you’re running late then text me as well and I’ll try to sort out a backup plan. If you’re running late and don’t text me, don’t be surprised if we’ve all left without you!

Manchester Piccadilly

Ride start point. Meet up outside the entrance (inside if inclement) for a PROMPT 0900 start.

images (2).jpg

For early arrivals, there are the usual cafes in the station. Sainsbury’s supermarket in the station. There are pay toilets at the station. I will arrive about 0840. From here we have about 10 very flat, urban/suburban miles to Altrincham.

The cyclepath across Hardy Farm off Hardy Lane is easy to miss. In this photo it’s on the right, beware cycling across those tram tracks.

IMG-20150318-00047.jpg

Only hazards are crossing the tram tracks about 400m after the start, the above tram tracks and this steep descent.

upload_2015-3-20_11-19-32.png

Altrincham

About 10 miles into the ride, so probably about 0950 we will arrive at the regroup/meet up point. This is outside the Dulux building on Stamford Brook Street, opposite Trafford College

From here we have about 15 miles of very gentle country lanes to get to the next regroup/meet up point at Marbury Country Park. There is just one hazard to be aware of on this stretch; passing through Dunham Massey Hall grounds we have to cross a narrow footbridge with steps. Dismount necessary.

There is a small General Store 3 miles after Altrincham but it seems to have irregular opening times so don’t rely on it. The first guaranteed food purchase location is Marbury CP about two hours into the ride. Suggest everyone has a few snacks with them in any case.

Through the very picturesque village of Great Budworth at mile 23 with Budworth Mere on the left.

We then arrive in Cumberbatch and take a short detour off the NCN70 to stop at Marbury CP

Marbury Country Park

This is at mile 25 and is the next regroup/meet up point. There is a car park here, toilets and a tea van. We expect to arrive about 1100. A chance for a warm drink and a snack. For those interested, the Anderton Boat lift is about 1.5 miles further off the NCN70.

The plan is to limit this stop to about 20 minutes if possible; the riding up to this point has been pretty easy. We then have a further 27 miles to our next stop of Eureka café for lunch. The first 13 miles out of Marbury are the hilliest of the whole ride, mainly rolling with two climbs at Acton Bridge and Mouldsworth although each one shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to climb and gradients are less than 10%.

After Mouldsworth the ride flattens out and is very gentle all the way to Llandudno

The only caution on this stretch is for three miles along the A5117. This is a busy road. However, on the far side is a shared-use cyclepath.

I strongly recommend using the cyclepath but it is for each rider to decide. At mile 53 we arrive at Eureka café which is our lunch stop and meet up point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Eureka Café

www.eurekacyclistscafe.co.uk

We expect to arrive for lunch around 1340. I would like to make this stop a max of about an hour. Of course people can stay longer should they wish but should bear in mind the likely time they will arrive in Llandudno. Eureka café also stocks some basic cycling consumables such as tubes, tyres.

After this we have 46 very flat miles to Llandudno. We will have a stop with about 16miles to go at the Bike Hub at Rhyl. Unless we get a strong headwind, we should be able to manage to get to Llandudno 4 hours after leaving Eureka.

2 miles after leaving Eureka café we get to the A550/A494. These are very busy roads but the cyclepath crosses them so caution needed.

upload_2015-3-20_11-21-23.png

The cyclepath uses a mixture of roads and shared use to get to Connah’s Quay. Don’t miss this turning. You will be cycling on a road and it’s easy to miss:

The A648, we have to follow this road for 13 miles. There are some diverts off through villages but it is fair to say that it is not a scenic or particularly pleasant part of the ride. There are some short dual carriageway stretches but, with the exception of a stretch leaving Flint, there are cyclepath options.

Some of the cyclepaths are a bit tricky to spot and not well signposted so keep your eyes peeled.

At Talacre, mile 74 we leave the roads and start the coastal cycleway to Llandudno. With the exception of a few short stretches, there is no more on-road cycling. One caution; the coastal cycleway is shared use and there will be pedestrians. Please exercise caution, I strongly recommend fitting a bell. There is quite a lot of sand on the coastal path and there is a stretch of quite steep revetment so be careful.

At mile 83 we will have our final stop at Rhyl Bike Hub. This is a bike shop and café. The café is a social enterprise to give employment opportunities to local adults with learning disabilities. I expect we will arrive there about 1700.

1.jpg

About a mile before Llandudno there is a short, stiff climb; about 300m @ 10%. On arriving in Llandudno you should ride sensibly along the wide pedestrian promenade on which cycling is permitted. The road alternative is narrow and busy and not recommended.

upload_2015-3-20_11-21-24.png

Arrive at Fish Tram Chips. It is a small restaurant so space may be at a premium.

upload_2015-3-20_11-21-24.png

For those getting a train home Saturday evening you will need to ride to Llandudno Junction. This is about 4 flat miles away. There is a small café at the station.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Bike Shops – note that all these should be open Saturday but probably only Halfords on Sunday

Halfords

Manchester Road

Broadheath

Altrincham, Cheshire WA14 5PZ

Starley Bicycles

28 Church Street

Altrincham, Cheshire WA14 4DW

Halfords

Leicester Street

Northwich, Cheshire CW9 5LG

Dave Hinde

227 Manchester Rd

Northwich, Cheshire West and Chester CW9 7NB

Cyclehouse Cheshire Oaks

Unit 5 Cheshire Oaks Trade Park

Stanney Mill Lane

Little Stanney

Chester, Cheshire CH2 4JZ

Shotton Cycles

24 Chester Road East

Deeside, Flintshire CH5 1QA

The Bike Hub

West Parade

Rhyl, Denbighshire LL18 5AS

East End Cycles

93 Abergele Rd

Colwyn Bay, Clwyd LL29 7SA

Halfords

Unit D3, Mostyn Champneys Retail Park

Charlotte Road

Llandudno LL30 1RY

West End Cycles

Conway Road

Llandundno Junction

LL31 9BA

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Just thought I'd bump this back onto page 1

35 confirmed riders who now have the ride notes and gpx files (although we never have more than about 28 what with folk starting and stopping at different points). About 20 who have expressed interest and either haven't replied to the PM or have replied and are struggling a bit with injuries, illness etc.

Some nice signs of Spring in Cheshire now, hawthorn hedges greening up, daffs out, cherry blossom. Should be verdant by April 25

I'm sure the weather is going to improve in the next few weeks too............

Top Bottom